Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brain Transplant Gives my Model S Higher Aspirations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

berkeley_ecar

S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017
Jul 21, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I have just completed my first several days of driving my 2017 vintage Model S following the recent installation of its new HW3 AP computer (free, as I had included the FSD option in my original purchase), and the updating of the MCU to version 2 (the "infotainment upgrade," most decidedly not free), under firmware 2020.24.6.1. The vehicle is clearly manifesting a desire now to become something much grander than its original self: a garbage truck. Wherever we drive, it recognizes and clearly displays every curbside garbage bin we pass, carefully ignoring distractions such as parked vehicles. It does get occasionally fooled by the rare curbside tree planter, but otherwise is strikingly accurate, performing at least as well as it does with recognizing stop signs and traffic lights. The "truck love" the car exhibited under earlier firmware releases (look it up) appears to have been replaced by "trash love." Or perhaps this is another form of "infotainment?" :D

The forum software is preventing me from sharing a short MPEG-4 video file I captured (and I refuse to use YouTube and its ilk), so you will have to settle for several screen captures. Apologies for the poor quality, I was focusing on driving safely and avoiding all the trash bins.

Screen_Shot_01.jpg Screen_Shot_02.jpg Screen_Shot_03.jpg

Your street has some very nice lane markings. My 2017 with the same upgrades feels new again! I even saw a toppled cone detected a few days ago. :) It made me irrationally happy. We’ll see what AP4 and MCU3 brings in the next 4 years. If future MCU and AP upgrades continue to be possible I know owners would keep paying.