Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brainstorm: Eternal Signature Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, yes, but ElSupreme above mentioned retaining "Signature status" without a Signature car, which essentially amounts to access to the color, correct?

Still, you basically reiterated my point in your second paragraph. The Signature models were meant as a way to collect funds, a financial incentive. If you give away one of the two primary benefits of the Signature cars (the other being early delivery) to an owner in perpetuity, there's no incentive for them to buy a Signature model in the future. And Tesla wants you to buy more Signature models in the future.

Sig has amounted to almost nothing, but, if Tesla would "brand" all future purchases as signature, then I would appreciate that. Can't speak for others, of course.

And what about the Signature buyers who don't agree? They bought their car, believing no more would be made with that color. I get that you all love that color red. It's beautiful, truly is. But is it fair to the Signature buyers who are content with their car, who do not want to upgrade -- to then change the rules on them? Wouldn't you be angry if that happened?

Sure, give people a 'Signature Status' in the Tesla system. That's a nice reward for being first in line on Tesla's second car model. But I really feel that a Signature designates the first cars off the line. Subsequent cars should not have the same badging or same color.

If this is really just about 'I want to keep the same color car', order it body in white, have it sent out for custom paint, and then you have it. But personally, I'd go for the deep ruby red of Talulah's Roadster - OMG, that's the most beautiful red I've ever seen. It's the same paint as the Roadster gifted to Nissan's president, several years back. That's the color I'd pick in a heartbeat. If you ever see it in person, you'll understand.

talulah paint roadster.jpg

IPretty hard to stay out in front of you, Brian. :wink: I confess I have not read every one of your 11+k posts!
That's ok. I haven't either. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't additional Signature cars out there dilute the value though?:)
We may be talking about different things here.

What I had in mind was trade-in and destroy the original. In some cases, the Signature might be "pre-destroyed" by an accident. That's a case that definitely intrigues me. If catastrophe befalls my precious, being able to replace it with a phoenix in matching color would be a very compelling value for me. To be clear, I'm not saying the replacement should be free of cost.

- - - Updated - - -

My two cents: A Signature should be a Signature. Meaning, it was one of the first cars produced for that model line. No 'well, the owner upgraded so...' business. Either it's a Signature or it's not.

I get that Signature owners don't want to let go of their status to get an upgraded version. But imo, that's a choice that has to be made. And these posts sound like people are trying to rationalize how they can keep everything, rather than accepting Signature is just the first cars of the model line. Period. Sometimes you have to let go of some of the toys in the sandbox. :) What's next? Do Founders get to keep their special status, no matter what else they're driving? "It's a Founder's Car." "No it's not, it's brand new." .... this just makes no sense to me.

But like I said. My opinion.
I get your perspective.

I think what others (and myself to some degree) are suggesting is that Tesla has an opportunity here to make the "Sig Tax" more than just a "Sig Donation" by providing a value that doesn't really have a monetary cost for Tesla but has a huge upside potential in terms of goodwill, etc.

In some sense, Tesla may not care about (ok that's a bit strong... "may have higher priorities than") Model S Signature customers but as an interested party and (small) shareholder I hope they intend to make the Signature (sub-?) brand mean something going forward beyond "pay more for the same features, and earlier/weaker build quality".

- - - Updated - - -

I would hope something like a discount on available hardware upgrades like power folding mirrors, parking sensors...etc could be offered but wouldn't expect a brand new Signature car either.
I hoped for this long ago but never held my breath about it. :(

Last edited:
As an early VIN Roadster owner (in the 1xx s) but not the first 100 (signatures), did they do this for the Roadster signatures?

I know Tesla was very nice in that when I did decide to get a Model S (was not in a rush), they did let me bump the line. I thought this was a nice enough of a thank you. Had to wait till 2014 for tax reasons though.

As an early VIN Roadster owner (in the 1xx s) but not the first 100 (signatures), did they do this for the Roadster signatures?
I dunno. But assuming we're completing the comparison...

Roadster 101. Find an equivalently configured Roadster <= 100. Did they have the same price tag? Or was there a $3,550 - $5,050 premium for the same configuration with VIN <= 100?

And what about the Signature buyers who don't agree? They bought their car, believing no more would be made with that color. I get that you all love that color red. It's beautiful, truly is. But is it fair to the Signature buyers who are content with their car, who do not want to upgrade -- to then change the rules on them? Wouldn't you be angry if that happened?

Sure, give people a 'Signature Status' in the Tesla system. That's a nice reward for being first in line on Tesla's second car model. But I really feel that a Signature designates the first cars off the line. Subsequent cars should not have the same badging or same color.

If this is really just about 'I want to keep the same color car', order it body in white, have it sent out for custom paint, and then you have it. But personally, I'd go for the deep ruby red of Talulah's Roadster - OMG, that's the most beautiful red I've ever seen. It's the same paint as the Roadster gifted to Nissan's president, several years back. That's the color I'd pick in a heartbeat. If you ever see it in person, you'll understand.

View attachment 55748
Yes. Love that red. Does anyone know the paint code?

I still have a special place in my heart for the prototype S with the $50k paint job. In pictures it looks much like the Roadster pic bonnie posted.

In person I've only seen the former though.

What I had in mind was trade-in and destroy the original. In some cases, the Signature might be "pre-destroyed" by an accident. That's a case that definitely intrigues me. If catastrophe befalls my precious, being able to replace it with a phoenix in matching color would be a very compelling value for me. To be clear, I'm not saying the replacement should be free of cost.

I think it just causes too much confusion. Insurance companies may eventually recognize the higher value of the Signature. But now they have to sort thru if it's a real Signature or a replacement Signature. Same with people buying used. "It's a Signature model" won't mean the same. Certain words should just hold certain meaning. And to me (recognizing I'm in a minority here), a Signature or Founder's Series car is the designation for a position in the model production.

I think what others (and myself to some degree) are suggesting is that Tesla has an opportunity here to make the "Sig Tax" more than just a "Sig Donation" by providing a value that doesn't really have a monetary cost for Tesla but has a huge upside potential in terms of goodwill, etc.

In some sense, Tesla may not care about (ok that's a big strong... "may have higher priorities than") Model S Signature customers but as an interested party and (small) shareholder I hope they intend to make the Signature (sub-?) brand mean something going forward beyond "pay more for the same features, and earlier/weaker build quality".

No argument that something should be done for Signature owners. But I don't think this proposal is it. And I wouldn't assume Tesla doesn't care, I'd go w/ 'higher priorities at the moment', as you suggested. Elon is just (finally) circling back to Roadster owners.

If a Signature is totaled, that's a sad thing. I understand you'd like to have another car, as close as possible (but better, with all the new bells and whistles) ... but that's not how it's worked with any other product that I'm aware of. It just makes no sense to me.

Get it painted Sig Red.

Anyway, it's not up to me. It's up to Tesla. So I'll let it be.

And to me (recognizing I'm in a minority here), a Signature or Founder's Series car is the designation for a position in the model production.
I think we agree on this. Where we might disagree is that I think they have an opportunity to say a "Signature purchase" is a "Signature car bought by a Signature owner", where a "Signature owner" gets some value (yet to be seen...) beyond just owning the fob of the "Signature car". They "buy a new one after you wreck your old one, but get the same paint color" is one option (being discussed in this thread) -- that has PROs and CONs. Again, I think we agree that if that the "phoenix" car would not be a "Signature car" -- it would just have a Signature paint color.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, it's not up to me. It's up to Tesla. So I'll let it be.
Yup, same page. When I brought it up previously it was in the general tone of "here's another idea for Tesla to consider, put it on the list" and then move along without putting much more mental or keyboard energy into it.

This is win-win-win for Tesla and its most loyal customers! They get continued recognition for their early confidence and "investment" in the company, Tesla keeps them loyal, AND Tesla gets to sell them more cars at a faster pace of trade-in-- very profitable!

That do you all think?

The guy that runs the paint section in Fremont might disagree with you on that one. Resetting the paint modules just to get one car Signature Red would be crazy costly.

The guy that runs the paint section in Fremont might disagree with you on that one. Resetting the paint modules just to get one car Signature Red would be crazy costly.

I don't think so. I asked this question and I was told they figured out a way to paint Sig Red and Red from the same paint station (of which there are 10 before Tesla starts the huge upgrade to the paint area). Hence the ability to paint the UK Sig Red cars alongside the new red cars.

I seem to recall that some of those first owners who managed to get custom paint done in the factory pay $12k(?) for it, and Tesla still pulled the option because it wasn't enough to cover their costs.
My recollection is that it was an efficiency issue not a cost issue. Meaning the time impact on the line, not the materials / labor cost. "Opportunity cost", I suppose is another phrasing.

I seem to recall that some of those first owners who managed to get custom paint done in the factory pay $12k(?) for it, and Tesla still pulled the option because it wasn't enough to cover their costs.

My recollection is that it was an efficiency issue not a cost issue. Meaning the time impact on the line, not the materials / labor cost. "Opportunity cost", I suppose is another phrasing.

That's a cost issue. Cost issues are not just materials and labor. It also has to do with line down time, etc. Maybe you don't write a check to cover it, but it is lost revenue.