TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Brake booster "proactive repair"?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Lionel Hutz, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Member

Has anybody else received this notification? Any idea what it is for? This is a mid-September 2014 build car.

2. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Interesting. What is your VIN/Delivery date?

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

odd. clearly part of the new electric braking system. I'd expect only very new owners to get an email like this. could be defective part or batch. I wonder if they rushed something, or quality control came back with an unacceptable failure rate, etc .... also wonder if ALL new owners are getting this. brakes are not something to mess around with...that email seems all fluffy duffy and they say 'may not be compatible with future software updates and features' but i'd be first in line to get it fixed ASAP. who knows what the real issue with it is. clearly Tesla wants to get rid of it and replace it with something better, and willing to come out and valet it. obvious they don't want it on the road for very long .....

4. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Member

This was one of the first cars off the line with the "autopilot" sensor suite. Having thought about this a little more, my speculation (based on nothing other than build date and packages) is that the brake booster needs to be updated to work with the self-driving features. But who knows.

5. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I thought all autopilot cars came with electromechanical brakes, which shouldn't require a booster pump?

6. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

7. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

I have already had the work done. Vin 49768...pretty sure that is right. One of the early cars with auto-pilot. I thought is might resolve that very quiet clicking noise which has been discussed here. It did not. I did not get a chance to really ask what it was exactly regarding, just brake booster related.

I got my car back, there was nothing changed that I could tell. The service experience was 11/10....washed and vacuumed.

8. SkiWA

SkiWA Member

I got a similar email today.

Good Morning Mr. X,
    I’m reaching out to you because it has been brought to our attention that your Tesla is in need of an updated brake booster. Your brake booster is being replaced as part of a quality upgrade. Please reach out to us at your earliest convenience to schedule this necessary update as we are booking the week of Nov. 18th and thereafter.

9. franknesss

franknesss Member

This is good news! I'm hoping it's related to the ticking issue on my car. Only thing is, I didn't receive an email yet. =(

10. gzerninplatz

gzerninplatz Member

Mine just went in for it...it is for the early autopilot cars that got older boosters, which use the antilock brake actuator to accomplish brake actuation for coming autopilot - they have added fully separate mechanical actuation as a more effective method for autopilot braking.

11. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

That's disappointing. My car is another late-September delivery with the ticking noise, and I was hoping to hear that this was the cause/fix. Haven't received an email, but then again, it took about a month to get the 6.0 update, so maybe they're rolling these notifications in stages.

12. techiesjc

techiesjc Member

Exactly what I was told when they replaced mine. VIN below and yes I have a car with new HW. I was in the service center for another repair and they swapped out the iBooster.

13. invisik

invisik Member

this must be what they mean by "hardware upgrades" in the warranty/service details.

-m

14. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Hey folks, thanks for clarifying. I went in for a factory paint chip fix in November and found out they needed it for four hours. Delivery 9/30/14, P55884. So fits the manufacturing schedule as the rest of you. All they could tell me was a replacement brake booster but nothing further than that.

They were in such a crunch to get units out the door at the end of Q3, I figure they didn't have the AutoPilot version of the brake booster and decided to move product with a warranty fix later. Rather that than delayed deliveries or no AutoPilot.