TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Brake caliper powder coat vs paint

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by rsk12, Apr 19, 2018.

1. rsk12

rsk12 Member

Hello group

I spoke to two shops today and one said they can powder coat the caliper and the other said they only paint it.
    I have not done this before so I do not know the pros and cons. I am leaning towards painting as they dont have take the caliper apart. What do you think.

Thanks
    rsk

2. BigCity

BigCity Member

Painting you don't have to disassemble the caliper, but probably won't be as robust a solution as powder coating. Powder coating should be much more durable if done right, probably be more expensive, but as you mention you have to tear them all the way down and then rebuild afterward so more time and money involved with that process too (doesn't appear to be difficult to rebuild). Powder coating will probably be more expensive, but not substantially. I just got a set powder coated for mine for $300, hoping to have them in the next week.

• Like x 1
  3. rsk12

rsk12 Member

Thanks for your response.

4. Safari

Safari Member

These are painted: reasonably quick and easy. Comes with a 5 yr warranty, so the vendor is standing behind his work. The 2nd picture is after two months (and without a wash). Powder coat was going to be four time more just for the callipers, plus buying new seals and the labour to remove and install. It will likely be more durable but I figure after 5 yrs I could pay for a completely new paint job and still be much further ahead on costs.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. Safari

Safari Member

Sorry, site won't let me load the picture with the wheel mounted due to file size, I'll take another one later if you are interested

6. samiullah99

samiullah99 Member

Who is the vendor - mind sharing the 2 month old pic ?

7. Safari

Safari Member

Vendor is Spence Tires (Caliper Painting) in Toronto, who apparently has had people come and visit him from all sorts of places.

Attached Files:

8. Safari

Safari Member

wider view

Attached Files:

9. Astraviel

Astraviel Member

I had my calipers painted and haven't had any issues in the 3 months I've had my Model S. Guess I'll see if it holds up in the next year. I do wash my car meticulously though so grime doesn't stick to the paint for too long.

10. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

Powdercoated brake calipers. Looks like the real thing.

VdT9SjnrSqaavJfPQ%S8qQ.jpg

• Like x 1