Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake cleaning $75

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess they need to update their service checklist PDF then.
There are probably a bunch of threads about it somewhere, but as a new owner, is the service every 12.5k actually worth it?
I'm used to going to dealers for service so that doesn't bother me by itself but the cost does 'seem' a bit high for what they appear to do.
Then don't pay to them to do it. You have the list of things that are recommended to check and service and they are not really complex for someone with reasonable mechanical abilities. Even the coolant change is doable for a competent garage mechanic. None of the service fluids are particularly special or hard to get and the only thing that I have not found in "consumer" quantities is the specific sunroof grease.

Wait - they no longer even include the alignment if necessary!? I just got my Tesla last week so I haven't been in for service yet. Considering they still list it on their service checklist (Wheel Alignment Check and Adjustment [if needed]) that's pretty irritating.
The price already seemed a bit iffy but if they won't even cover basic alignment now - it keeps getting worse. :(
Patrick
It was never included.
As I mentioned in my other post, it is most definitely included, and I just had mine done exactly one month ago.
My guess is that this checklist (which is awesome, BTW, thanks @jelloslug) is a bit outdated. They didn't used to include it, but they do now. There are threads here on TMC discussing it.

Look at it from the Mechanics point of view who may be on flat rate and will only get paid x amount of hours for each job. The nice clean car of a southwest car or one subjected to road salt. I get that they have to check and most likely clean up those salty brakes, should he get less time to do a job that another mechanic never has to worry about.

If you see what is actually done on a service, I'm not sure you would call it over priced. The real question is, are all the things that are done really necessary?

Okay if they do all that in a service, I don't see why they have to charge extra for one item then.
I'm sorry but you won't find a lot of owners agreeing to the sentiment that charging for brake cleaning - a normal usage pattern - should not be included in the overall service cost.

I watched this service procedure and they removed all brake pads for measurement then replaced them. That alone would discover the need for corrosion cleaning. If the pads are free to move then the brakes are fine. A little brake dust is not the issue it's rust that seizes the pads and they need to be pried out their holders. There is no cleaning process for the pistons except caliper replacement after 10 years of service in hostile conditions.

I was satisfied that the brakes are clean and fluid refreshed. Nothing more to do.

FYI, I asked for the Dexron gear lube to be changed as an added service at 24 months. This was not on their list and when it came to settle the bill the charge for this was reduced from the estimate probably because the car was already on the hoist. That was a nice touch.