Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I’ve had a model s for a few years , 2015 bought from Tesla , the car has been in for various services , ie mcu, ground strap , etc , I have asked if I need to do anything else and they saidNo . Now it’s in for more warranty work and they are telling me I need over$4000 of BRAKE work and should have had them serviced yearly??? What the hell , has anybody had this happen ? I thought this was supposed to be one of the benefits of regen

All cars benefit from having the brakes cleaned and lubricated, especially in harsh conditions like Toronto (or here in Quebec). We typically don't do it because it costs 150$+ every year to have them last a few more months / a year. On a Tesla where brakes are used less because of regen, and because some calipers use pins to hold the pads and those pins jam in place, it's more important to clean and lubricate them regularly. I believe the Tesla documentation does state it, for harsh climates. If the brakes cannot move freely they won't work well, some pads might stay stuck and use up quicker etc.

EDIT: But 4000$ seems prohibitive. Look for another (non-Tesla) garage that can do it for less with as high quality parts.

Hi I’ve had a model s for a few years , 2015 bought from Tesla , the car has been in for various services , ie mcu, ground strap , etc , I have asked if I need to do anything else and they saidNo . Now it’s in for more warranty work and they are telling me I need over$4000 of BRAKE work and should have had them serviced yearly??? What the hell , has anybody had this happen ? I thought this was supposed to be one of the benefits of regen
Can you please post a screenshot of the estimate? My guess is that they are selling you a full set of rotors, pads, and potentially a caliper or two at that price.

It’s surprising that you haven't seen these if you have owned the car already few years.

AD40270B-8823-41CC-8E53-EA549B876D46.jpeg

Attachments

• RCLRPT-17V260-5503.PDF
    211.3 KB · Views: 70