Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Dust Brand New Model 3 (Help)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SeanBTCx

Jun 12, 2021
USA
I have a week old Model 3, and the brake dust is insane. Even worse, i'm seeing a lot of old post about how regenerative braking avoids brake dust and how awesome it is. Did Tesla change the brake pads and go cheap on these newer models? I want to make sure my car isn't having issues. Thanks guys, i'm gonna upload an image just to show what i'm running into. The photo is after I already cleaned some of the dust off on this particular wheel. Brake Dust Model 3

I have a week old Model 3, and the brake dust is insane. Even worse, i'm seeing a lot of old post about how regenerative braking avoids brake dust and how awesome it is. Did Tesla change the brake pads and go cheap on these newer models? I want to make sure my car isn't having issues. Thanks guys, i'm gonna upload an image just to show what i'm running into. The photo is after I already cleaned some of the dust off on this particular wheel. Brake Dust Model 3

You might want to get it looked at? I have a Model 3 Performance and have virtually no dust, even with the big brakes. Are you using them a lot? Regen braking should do most of the braking, at least it does for me. I only use mine when driving in a "spirited" fashion, and even then, no/low dust.

Tim

When my M3 was new, it had lots of brake dust at first, even with minimal braking. Eventually, it settled down, maybe something to do with the brake pad. As long as the brakes and car are working fine, give it a little more time.

Reactions: mswlogo
I had this issue early on and made a service call. My brakes were squeeking pretty badly too. The service guy said it was a break-in period and they'd be fine. Thankfully he was correct! I'd still set up an appointment to make sure though.

That is certainly more dust than I would expect to see. Are you using regenerative braking?

Original poster indicated the car is a week old. Assuming it is new in the US and probably up your way as well didn't they remove the ability to limit regeneration?

I'm wondering if they changed the pad material because of the issues those of us in areas with road salt usage have. You'd know better than I, but my expectation would be soft pads help with the the rotor surface rust, squealing and because of more brake piston movement help with reducing them seizing up.

Have you guys played around with any of the EV specific compounded pads? I don't need a performance pad just something that isn't going to rust up and/or delaminate from its backing plate.

Original poster indicated the car is a week old. Assuming it is new in the US and probably up your way as well didn't they remove the ability to limit regeneration?

I'm wondering if they changed the pad material because of the issues those of us in areas with road salt usage have. You'd know better than I, but my expectation would be soft pads help with the the rotor surface rust, squealing and because of more brake piston movement help with reducing them seizing up.

Have you guys played around with any of the EV specific compounded pads? I don't need a performance pad just something that isn't going to rust up and/or delaminate from its backing plate.
Yes sir, I've found a few posts about this throughout searches and it seems possible Tesla switched up the brake pads on 2021 recently (just speculating.)

Issue is the Tesla Service Center employee didn't seem to think this was unusual, but I'm going to go off of the opinions of owners like you guys. The car is being serviced now for a scratch and handle not being flush, but I mentioned that I wanted the brake dust issue looked into. I'll update you guys. I hope they actually look at it well.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I have never had brake dust with this car. None. Mine is a 2019 though so im not sure if pad changed or something in later cars. Could be driving habits as well because I rarely use the friction brakes and when I do, it is light braking.
Car almost brand new, I hardly use the brakes as well because of regen braking. In fact, this is why I was surprised with the dust as the regen braking should be saving my pads from braking down. Its only been driven for about two weeks anyhow, so even if I were doing something stupid, it shouldn't be shedding like this unless these are a new pad that does this.

Even with regen, people stomp on the brakes all the time. That's how some people drive, they brake for every little curve or slope.

Reactions: rpiotro and Ciaopec
During the Winter, I'll go for months without washing the car. After a long interval, I'll notice that the front wheels are noticeably dirtier than the rears, much like a regular ICE car. However, it's not remotely close to how dirty the latter would be. 12/2018 M3P.

I have had a Lot of cars over the years. Our 6 month old Model 3, white, has a brake dust problem. Part of it May be just the amount of brake dust in the air? environment, but Every time we get home I wipe the car down.What happens? Black on a white rag and from doors, roof and hood, everywhere.. Really a lot on the rear.
The question I have is...if I do one pedal driving, and don't touch the brakes very often, where the hell is all this black fine dust coming from? One the plastic hub caps also.