TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Brake dust on older Model S's

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Chopr147, Oct 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Ok a small thing but I always check other Tesla's when I see them. The 2012- June 2016 front rims often are pretty dirty. Just older? IDK. Did Tesla use different brake pads prior to the refresh? I have a refresh model S with 19k miles and NEVER have a brake dust issue. Matter of fact front rims are always just as clean as the rears. Or is the regen that much better? Like I said small detail but, it has peaked my curiosity

2. arcus

arcus Member

I'm getting brake dust on my 2017 Model S regularly (even when I use regen 90% of the time).

3. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Lots of brake dust for me too. I use regen high, but probably more brake pedal than I should.

4. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

None for me, but I regen until it stops working and only brake for that last 2MPH or if I can't anticipate the deceleration.

5. MSDadMich

MSDadMich Member

I have not taken delivery of my Tesla just yet... due in the next week or so, however, I do know that semi metallic brake pads will generate more dust than an organic pad. Does Tesla use semi-met pads on their vehicles? If so, you may find a replacement organic pad that will generate much less noticeable dust, at the expense of stopping power of course.

6. agloutney

agloutney Member

I think it’s from driving on autopilot. It uses the brakes more aggressively. I stopped using AP for a while and the brake dust issue stopped.

7. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

In the 18 months I've owned mine I've always had a lot of (brake?) dust accumulating on the nice wheels, making them look a lot less nice. I was hoping, as some suggested, that it was a "new brake thing" that would get better, but it hasn't, noticeably.

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

When I drive gently and rely on regen, my fronts and rears stay clean. The more I use TACC or AP, or the more aggressive i am, the dirtier they get. TACC/AP definitely use the brakes a lot more than I do on my own. They aren't able to be predictive...yet...