Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake dust shield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrComputer

TeslaClubLA President
Jan 29, 2009
Sherman Oaks, CA
Last night when making a left turn to go down the alley behind my house to the garage I heard a loud metal-on-metal screeching sound from the front right wheel area. When the car was in the garage I looked to see if there was something protruding in the wheel area but couldn't see anything. Again today while driving to an appointment and making a left turn I heard the same screeching sound. Since my appointment happened to only be a few miles from the Van Nuys service center I called and explained the problem and asked if I could stop by and have a tech take a look. They told me to bring it on by. When I get there the tech hopped in the car and I took him around the block to hear the sound. He heard it and said they'd want to keep the car for safety reasons and figure out the problem.

A few hours later I got a message that the car was fixed and it was a minor issue. They said that in each wheel there is a "brake dust shield" and that somehow the one in the right front wheel had come loose and they just needed to secure it. If you hear a very loud metal-on-metal screeching sound while turning it could be this easy to fix problem. Haven't read about this problem on here so I figured I'd let other's know in case someone else has the same issue.