Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Dust?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my 545 6 speed. I am going to miss it. One thing about it (and every other 5 series I've known) is that the wheels get covered in brake dust pretty much within seconds after being cleaned. Over the years, I've given up on them really.

Now that we have months of experience with the S, I'm wondering how brake dust works with it. Not much? A lot? Would be a lot, but regen braking minimizes it? Too snowy to know?

If you set the regenerative braking to standard and use it, you'll be shocked at how little you use the brakes. I expect my brakes to last at least 3-5x the normal interval with a corresponding reduction in dust.

I have silver wheels and the brake dust is definitely there. Less than on an ICE because the brakes are used less but still a factor. I switched to Carbotech 1521 pads on my Roadster and they have eliminated the noise, dust, and also improved braking. I'm planning to call Carbotech in the new year to see if they will make pads for the Model S.

So far in a week of driving the S, and rarely using the brakes, I notice the 21's getting very dirty. Not sure if it is the brakes or what. But I have washed the car twice because of the front wheels being dirty(at least that was my excuse)And wiped the front wheels down a couple more times in between washes. I think they are getting dirtier than the Porsche we have. Seems strange to me.

There probably needs to be distressed wheels (similar to distressed jeans), then brake dust will no longer be a problem.

The three of my 21" wheels that have curb rash would likely qualify as "distressed", but brake dust still shows up on them pretty easily. The "performance" gray wheels will show it much less. Two incidents... both left wheels due to a parking garage in St. Louis, and the right front due to a parking curb. I've learned since then. :)