Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake dust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I've had my Model S for 9 days. It's silver. I'm used to having my cars detailed every 2 weeks, but in just 9 days my Model S is coated with dark powder that I think is brake dust. It's most heavy just behind the wheels, but somehow it also got all over the rear lift gate/license plate area. This surprises me because I have been relying mostly on the regen and didn't think I was even using the brakes very much except to come to a complete stop. And I don't think I've driven more than 20 miles in any one of the 9 days.

Is it normal to have so much brake dust all over the car after 9 days? Could it be just road dirt kicked up? My last car was a darker color and never looked like this -- it only got the black dust on the wheels themselves not everywhere else. Does anyone else get a lot of brake dust from not much driving or braking?

This is one of those strange Model S things - the back especially is always dirty. I am sure someone a lot smarter than my can explain why, but surely it is related to aerodynamics. I have gotten over it, but at first the constant wiping down behind the wheels and in back made my a little nutty.

My advice, drive the car, enjoy the car, and wash it when you feel like it. Clean or dirty, it is still gorgeous!

The aerodynamics of the car for some reason draws a lot of road dust to the rear of the car. Never goes away. I can wash the car, drive 10 miles and there is a light dust on the back end when I check. I just keep a detailing spray and a couple of microfiber clothes in the car to keep it clean.

I guess this is proof that the rear of the car attracts dirt and road grime which I'm assuming is related to the aerodynamics. BTW this was coming out of a garage CLEAN and all polished up, then driving 110 miles through snow storm...(aka it did not "sit outside" accumulating snow .. this is from driving)

IMG_2706.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

I've got a new nano spray coating that's help with this problem. Will let you know when it arrives next week. It'll take the place of your spray detailers you're using. It'll compliment the nano coating on your MS.

sooo this nano spray vs Zaino Z6 vs Griots Speed Shine vs (here's what I use) Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine vs (another one I use) Chemical Guys Extreme Slick Synthetic, Acrylic Polymer Detailer Quick Detail Spray.

so what are the pros/cons of those 5 (including your nano spray). what is the difference between them all? are some better than others? or some to avoid for some reason? what is this nano spray you are using?