Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BRAKE DUST

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get a lot of brake dust on all four wheels, even though I hardly ever apply the brakes using one pedal driving almost exclusively. In fact, I’ve done many trips in my MY and haven’t applied the brakes even one time. Wouldn’t you expect virtually zero brake dust if one pedal driving is used almost exclusively? In 1500 miles I’ve applied the brakes perhaps 4 or 5 times, yet each time I wash the car I have to clean brake dust off each wheel. Anyone else experiencing this issue and any ideas why?

I get a lot of brake dust on all four wheels, even though I hardly ever apply the brakes using one pedal driving almost exclusively. In fact, I’ve done many trips in my MY and haven’t applied the brakes even one time. Wouldn’t you expect virtually zero brake dust if one pedal driving is used almost exclusively? In 1500 miles I’ve applied the brakes perhaps 4 or 5 times, yet each time I wash the car I have to clean brake dust off each wheel. Anyone else experiencing this issue and any ideas why?

No way, already a problem like that? Sounds like cheap brake pads instead of clean ceramic. I hate brake dust. Are you serious? How bad?

LOL, I noticed this as well when I removed the aero covers, this was after about a month and a half of ownership. I was surprised. It was much more pronounced on the front wheels, just like you'd expect with the fronts doing most of the braking when needed.

I was also surprised at the size of the rotors! They nicely take up all of the space behind the wheels - didn't expect them to be so large.

I've got the same experience on a new M3LR. Even when not using autopilot and one pedal driving almost exclusively I got enough brake dust to have to wash the car weekly. I suspect brake pads are not high quality ceramic...

If you use a ceramic or polymer wax on your wheels after washing, the brake dust will be easier to clean... Also, even if you don't apply the brakes at all, the car will apply the brakes as part of the traction and stability control system. For traction, the tesla has open diffs, so brake pressure to the faster spinning wheel will send torque to the other wheel... For stability, it uses brake pressure on an individual corner to control rotation. Are you a spirited driver? On my other car, I noticed this, even if it's not flashing any stability or traction control lights, when I drive it spiritedly through the twisty roads on our hill.

I was surprised when I removed mine back in April, how much dust was there (although it was probably road dust as well). I read somewhere that the MY actually uses the brakes at the end of regenerative braking (when on Hold setting) to bring the car to it's final stop and then hold. This does make sense as there have been plenty of times when I've never 'braked' on a drive yet the rotors always look nice and clean (no rust). It also makes sense from a 'keeping them in working order' perspective.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
As a side note, I don't know what kind of algorithm Tesla uses, but I know on Mercedes the ECU will lightly drag the brakes every once in a while on the highway to dry the rotors. (I think it's tied to the wipers). I know I've had cars that didn't do this, and it could be downright scary when you go to apply the brakes for the first time after cruising on the highway in the rain,