Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake failed and almost crashed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0E3EB1DA-CA75-4E16-9DE3-B297FDF36DA2.png

Just received this invoice.

Thanks for posting that Juno. The invoice looks proper and exactly what I'd expect. I'd ask to chat with the tech when you pick it up and see if they have any guesses as to how this might have happened and if they are aware of any similar failures.

All in all, I'd say this is not any sort of fundamental flaw and not something to worry about in the future. Your car will be as safe as ever and hopefully if this is anything more than just a one-in-a-million freak occurrence your story will help Tesla and some owners to possibly catch/correct the issue as needed.

So the SC’s Number 1 Concern according to the invoice was Tire Pressure and Tread Depth, and Number 2 was Brake Failure. Interesting.
The Tire Pressure thing is *always* #1 on every service invoice, added automatically, at no cost.
I believe it’s required by law in California, so Tesla does it on every single vehicle that comes in, nationwide. Good.

edit: Yes, here is the law, and it does indeed mandate that it is displayed on the invoice. Tire Pressure Program

So the SC’s Number 1 Concern according to the invoice was Tire Pressure and Tread Depth, and Number 2 was Brake Failure. Interesting.
Where do you see it states the priority of concern? Just because its number 2 on the list of 3 total job numbers? Total job numbers or the order of them has nothing to do with priority or concern of which one is more important. Its simply paperwork.
Its possible while they waited for parts, they send out a tech to check other items like tire wear and pressure and that tech entered his info first.
Or its added automatically like dmurphy just said. (not really surprised thats a law in Cali) but definitely nothing wrong with checking another safety item. Good to know, thanks dmurphy.
Lets not forget to menchion they proactively did the upper control arm service bulletin while his car was there.
unlhere-for-the-free-tire-check-meme-6a030185cea0244d-02fa3cbe68895490-jpg.688158

Attachments

• unlhere-for-the-free-tire-check-meme-6a030185cea0244d-02fa3cbe68895490.jpg
    unlhere-for-the-free-tire-check-meme-6a030185cea0244d-02fa3cbe68895490.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 195
A theory that occurred to me while pondering how to fit the OP's description of the incident (way back in post 1) and the fact that the car _does_ use the brakes for hold.

It hadn't quite rubbed all the way through and failed when the OP had to brake hard to avoid an accident. Maybe a few microns of material left. Then hard braking to avoid the accident caused the remaining material to burst. Only at that point did he have break failure, and then only later (after continuing to drive) did he get the warning about low brake fluid. Up until this incident the brake line was still (just barely) good enough for hold to work, or for whatever occasional minor braking is used by somebody who mostly stops on regen.

I think this would explain why brake pressure sensors or fluid level sensors hadn't been going off yet.

Rationale: It's not like the brake line was rubbing on an axle: that would have worn through quickly. But the steering column just doesn't turn much: how many thousands of turns did he make before this failed? (answer: a year worth of turns). The material of the brake line would probably be very thin but not quite failed for a significant time before finally wearing through completely.

A theory that occurred to me while pondering how to fit the OP's description of the incident (way back in post 1) and the fact that the car _does_ use the brakes for hold.

It hadn't quite rubbed all the way through and failed when the OP had to brake hard to avoid an accident. Maybe a few microns of material left. Then hard braking to avoid the accident caused the remaining material to burst. Only at that point did he have break failure, and then only later (after continuing to drive) did he get the warning about low brake fluid. Up until this incident the brake line was still (just barely) good enough for hold to work, or for whatever occasional minor braking is used by somebody who mostly stops on regen.

I think this would explain why brake pressure sensors or fluid level sensors hadn't been going off yet.

Rationale: It's not like the brake line was rubbing on an axle: that would have worn through quickly. But the steering column just doesn't turn much: how many thousands of turns did he make before this failed? (answer: a year worth of turns). The material of the brake line would probably be very thin but not quite failed for a significant time before finally wearing through completely.
Interesting theory. Plus like most of us, if we use mostly regen to slow down, brake line/fluid would not be under regular use, just a little bit

Just checked mine - it's fine. Used an inspection mirror & flashlight. PITA to get eyes on it w/o a garage but it's doable.
Lol.
Every time I see you post about checks like this, I look at your avatar, and just can’t see that persona getting up under the hood like that.
If you have a suit and hat like that, I hope you swap it out for coveralls at the time. :)

Where do you see it states the priority of concern? Just because its number 2 on the list of 3 total job numbers? Total job numbers or the order of them has nothing to do with priority or concern of which one is more important. Its simply paperwork.
Its possible while they waited for parts, they send out a tech to check other items like tire wear and pressure and that tech entered his info first.
Or its added automatically like dmurphy just said. (not really surprised thats a law in Cali) but definitely nothing wrong with checking another safety item. Good to know, thanks dmurphy.
Lets not forget to menchion they proactively did the upper control arm service bulletin while his car was there.
unlhere-for-the-free-tire-check-meme-6a030185cea0244d-02fa3cbe68895490-jpg.688158
I get it, but it just struck me as strange that the first item listed was not related to the main reason for the service visit. Seems that an ancillary item would be listed further down on the report.

I get it, but it just struck me as strange that the first item listed was not related to the main reason for the service visit. Seems that an ancillary item would be listed further down on the report.
If it's a mandated default, it makes sense that it's first, as that's probably the first item the system adds to the list. I just double checked my invoices and it's the same (tire check listed first, I'm in California also).