Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake failed and almost crashed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
”I owned my car for one year and my brake was working fine every time until I had to hard press it and something went wrong and it failed. I wouldn’t have known it had a faulty part if I didn’t hard brake that day but how often do we really hard brake?”

This is what I thought originally in frustration but like some people here said there aren’t any reported cases with so many Teslas out there so I realized it’s just me that was very unlucky :(

I will get my car serviced and go on with my life, I still love Tesla but let’s see if I can convince my wife its safe lol

Will update how repair goes.

Why do you need to convince her? Doesn’t she have her own car?

Whether she has her own car or not, if she doesnt feel safe in it, thats an argument waiting to happen (and happen, and happen). No matter how happily married you are, or for how long, having an expensive item like a vehicle that the other partner doesnt feel safe in, is a non starter. "dont like" is quite a bit different than "doesnt feel safe in".

Whether she has her own car or not, if she doesnt feel safe in it, thats an argument waiting to happen (and happen, and happen). No matter how happily married you are, or for how long, having an expensive item like a vehicle that the other partner doesnt feel safe in, is a non starter. "dont like" is quite a bit different than "doesnt feel safe in".
That’s sad.

That’s sad.

I would say "thats considerate". I dont find anything in the least bit sad about being considerate of your partners feelings on something important to them, but then again, as I said (in post 105 in this thread), I have been happily married for a very long time (36 years).

Last edited:
I would say "thats considerate". I dont find anything in the least bit sad about being considerate of your partners feelings on something important to them, but then again, as I said (in post 105 in this thread), I have been happily married for a very long time (36 years).
I will be at 20 in 2 years. I don’t know it feels he is trying too hard about this whole incident situation . Will be interesting to see final paper work and what technicians actually put in there.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
”I owned my car for one year and my brake was working fine every time until I had to hard press it and something went wrong and it failed. I wouldn’t have known it had a faulty part if I didn’t hard brake that day but how often do we really hard brake?”

This is what I thought originally in frustration but like some people here said there aren’t any reported cases with so many Teslas out there so I realized it’s just me that was very unlucky :(

I will get my car serviced and go on with my life, I still love Tesla but let’s see if I can convince my wife its safe lol

Will update how repair goes.
I appreciate your follow-ups with this and I'll go out on a limb and say you'll be fine. However, post-repair, I'd give it a good test every so often followed by a fluid level and visual check for leaks. I think once you test it several times, you'll feel more confident going forward.

I stopped by the service center today and this person that was helping me showed me a picture of a damage on the part and promised to email that picture to me.

I will upload the picture when I get it.

Did you get the picture from the service center yet? Will be interesting to see the damage. (Also will be good to know whether this is covered under warranty or not - will depend on what Tesla thinks caused the failure, and if it was road debris or something, how gracious they are being.)

215F72E6-5DF4-4671-94C9-9A8E294766CB.png

Mostly software which doesn’t avoid accidents as the cars AEB, automatic emergency braking, dont work unless you’re autopilot is engaged!
I can assure you from firsthand experience thanks to a pedestrian with questionable timing and 'look-both-ways' skills that AEB absolutely does engage without AutoPilot (or even TACC) being engaged. (No one was injured, thankfully)
In hold mode, the physical brakes are what's used to "hold" the car? I somehow doubt that. It doesn't feel that way to me, cause sometimes when you are very slow and let it naturally flow in to the hold, the car rocks a little before holding so I doubt the physical brakes are being used.
They absolutely are. If you are feeling experimental, slip your foot under the brake pedal and you can feel the pedal be actuated downward when the physical brake is engaged. If you are more replete with lucre you can stick a GoPro or something into the wheel well and record footage of the actual brake calipres. The physical brakes do not engage until the car has determined itself to be stopped, so there is a very brief moment of freewheeling before they engage. If you stop on an incline, the car may roll backwards a centimeter or three.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV