Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake failed and almost crashed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if both rear wheels have the e-brake style caliper or just one side? I would guess both in the event that you break a half shaft, you'd lose Park functionality, but who knows.
Has to be both because when I put my wheels back on I can torque the rears without pulling my hair out. Wish I could simultaneously Hold the fronts.

Thank you everyone for their concerns.

I messaged the serviced department to see what's going on with my car and they are running diagnosis on it, I will update here when I get the report.

Here's the rough timeline of what happened.

07/16/2021 06:30 pm - Brake failure, was able to drive it home with regenerative brake
07/17/2021 09 am - called Tesla to report the problem, they asked me to turn off the car completely wait 2 minutes and turn it back on, brake still didn't work while running some tests and pressing on the brake pedal few times, "brake fluid low" notification popped up on the screen
07/17/2021 11 am - my car was towed, I could see some spills on the driveway, I always park at the same spot, never saw that before

I do have sentry cam footages and pictures & videos of brake not working but like someone said I do not feel comfortable uploading it here, I'll ask Tesla if they want to see it. Also I will file a complaint on NHTSA like someone mentioned, thank you.

View attachment 685938
I'm glad no one is injured.
Also understand why would anyone hesitate to upload their dashcam. But in this scenario, even though it would most certainly not benefit you, it would be good for others to learn how bad the instant failure was. Especially those who text on their phone thinking their tesla can handle it, have to see this. This is just my opinion, just for your consideration.

Reactions: KenC
Here's a video of how to actuate the e-brake while driving for those wondering:

You can see from just a random picture on Ebay of a Model 3 rear caliper there is a black part that is the servo motor that that parking brake actuates. This motor is electrically driven so it'll still work even if you lost all your brake fluid. Obviously due to it being only on the rear brakes and due to how the motor works, it's very slow, so the braking force is very little compared to normal brakes, but it's still better than nothing.
s-l1600.jpg
In my experience testing from 5 mph it was not slow or little braking, it was violent. It's the same brake used for hill hold.

In my experience testing from 5 mph it was not slow or little braking, it was violent. It's the same brake used for hill hold.
I guess it depends on if talking about the Model S (which uses a screw drive which is likely even slower) or 3 (which uses a servo). However, I get the impression it's still slower than the hydraulics. It may be more harsh since it bypasses all the other brake systems (like ABS), but the braking force is definitely much less than regular brakes. You can see that from the video when the car is going at higher speeds.

Here is what they said. I will update more when they respond.

View attachment 686256
Make sure they answer your question in detail.

If the failure was from an outside force (debris), they would have said it and would be sending you an invoice to approve before work is to proceed.

I’d demand pictures of the failure! Or if the SC is close to you, go over there and ask to see it.

Wow, Tesla doesn't offer an extended service agreement? So it's just 4 years 50k? That's interesting.

4k/50 bumper to bumper, 8 yr/100-120 (depending on model) for powertrain/battery

Xcare offers a 3rd party extended warranty if someone wants one that's pretty competitively priced (they offer it for S/X too as an alternative to Teslas)

Pricing here:

(moderator note: referral code removed. PM @Knightshade if you would like a referral code for this)

Last edited by a moderator: