Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake failed and almost crashed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1626872648011.png

Agree.

OP, whether it was a defective part or someone nicked my brake lines, I would be finding out.

It’s odd that both front lines needed to be replaced.

Lol I think it’s more sus that their techs wouldn’t put in text what they believe the root cause is. I’m hoping the tech hasn’t discarded the damaged parts. Because I’m intrigued what they found.

At least they aren’t saying the lines are “in spec” and what’s the big deal stop being so picky ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Its actually std practice to do brake work evenly (same thing to both sides)..at least in a reputable shop

Also, it could be a CYA thing for them if there is in fact a manufacturing/ design issue. But if that were the case I would think we would have heard about it by now???
That's standard practice for wear items (pads, rotors, calipers, etc.) - all to try and maintain even braking force and minimize call backs.

A brake line wouldn't necessarily fall into this category, unless the vehicle is older.

Let's just wait for a photo.

Reactions: Alset2
That's standard practice for wear items (pads, rotors, calipers, etc.) - all to try and maintain even braking force and minimize call backs.

A brake line wouldn't necessarily fall into this category, unless the vehicle is older.

Let's just wait for a photo.
Agree with your assessment, but the 4 shops I worked at over the course of my career would have replaced soft lines in pairs.
I could see the case not to also, but for such a small investment I guess my bosses just figured it was worth piece of mind maybe.
I was young and impressionable, so the idea has always stuck with me as a good one...
But we have had cases where a soft pedal, after much diagnosis, was caused by a failed (but not leaking) soft line . It was rare, but happend more than 3 times if you know what I mean .
Of course none of that matters to the OP...they have a definitive leak.

Still no response on the app message, but received this email.

Parts Ordered
  1. PIPE ASSY,SIDE SILL BRAKE
    Part #: 1044712-00-D
    Order Date: July 20, 2021
I am visiting them this afternoon, hopefully I can see the damage.

Cool, thanks for sharing! Based on the part they are replacing, the damage is on the pressurized portion near where the system interacts with the "Electromechanical Brake Booster". This part seems to route all 4 pipes that includes a portion to get to each of the 4 wheels... but does also directly feed the front wheels.

I wonder if your experience was just 1 or 2 wheels losing pressure rapidly, or if it was all 4 because your whole system lost fluid/pressure. I hope they kept the old part and gave you photos for where the damage is. But since this part is mostly metal, it probably wasn't a squirrel chewing through the line.

Edit: updated the photo:
1626887111153.png

1626887363922.png

Last edited:
Appreciate the reply post. Hopefully tesla can tell you what happened, and I am very happy no one was hurt in your case. As I mentioned, I absolutely advise against posting any video, etc on this here. I have seen that story play out several times, and there is nothing for you to gain from doing so.

It would be nice to know what the final root cause is in this case, once you hear it from tesla.
Why do you oppose posting Teslacam video?

Reactions: WhiteWi
Why do you oppose posting Teslacam video?

I am answering this with a "real answer" because it seems like a real question. These are my own personal opinions, and do not represent TMC, nor actions I might or might not take as a moderator.
==============================

Because there is zero benefit to the OP for doing so, as I mentioned previously. People here love to dig into those videos and "assign blame" for stuff, and there is no benefit to that for this OP (or anyone else who posts those type of videos here, actually). People post them thinking they are going to get validated, and invariably there ends up a discussion on whose right, whose wrong, whose fault it is, " freeze frame on the video exactly at 2:14 and you can see a slight hesitation that proves that........."

Of course its up to a specific individual to decide whether there is some value in going through all that, but there usually isnt, it ends up as "for entertainment value" for some members here who enjoy digging through it, and thats it.

I am answering this with a "real answer" because it seems like a real question. These are my own personal opinions, and do not represent TMC, nor actions I might or might not take as a moderator.

Because there is zero benefit to the OP for doing so, as I mentioned previously. People here love to dig into those videos and "assign blame" for stuff, and there is no benefit to that for this OP (or anyone else who posts those type of videos here, actually). People post them thinking they are going to get validated, and invariably there ends up a discussion on whose right, whose wrong, whose fault it is, " freeze frame on the video exactly at 2:14 and you can see a slight hesitation that proves that........."

Of course its up to a specific individual to decide whether there is some value in going through all that, but there usually isnt, it ends up as "for entertainment value" for some members here who enjoy digging through it, and thats it.
It still confuses why the consideration is only what benefits the OP. It will definitely benefit others, looking at what went wrong. I would not mind getting my driving analyzed and criticized by anonymous online community. In fact I'd very much love that; that's like free lesson by probably more experienced EV drivers.
I'm guessing the OP wanted to share their experience, which is why they started this thread. So let's just leave it to them to decide, I agree with you on this.

If none shared anything with others, we will never learn anything from other's experience?
*in George Costanza's voice* We live in a society!! :)

I resemble that remark. Then again, the only reason why I nitpicked that video is because the OP kept saying it wasn't his fault, it was his first accident, and that no one got hurt. Of course, he then goes on to say his passenger broke ribs! That person got no slack because he was an admitted liar.

Not to mention he was trying to stiff his insurance company in a prior accident, where he was parallel parking, hit the vehicle behind him, and drove off, thinking he didn't leave a mark! His claims beggar belief since he had to replace his trunk, and then didn't want his insurance company to know. See, a recidivist liar, who never took blame. He deserved to get his video nitpicked, since he could have avoided the accident if he had been paying attention to the traffic around him.

Last edited:
I stopped by the service center today and this person that was helping me showed me a picture of a damage on the part and promised to email that picture to me. They didn’t know why it happened, just told me they will make sure to test everything before they give back my car to me. This doesn’t make me feel any better because I am sure they ran all sorts of tests before I got my car in the first place. I am just really frustrated and worried that someone out there might have a same problem and not realizing it because Tesla drivers don’t really use the manual brake much once you get used to regenerative braking. I will upload the picture when I get it.

Are they covering under warranty or are they saying it is damaged done by road debris, or something, and you have to pay for the repair? (It is sounding more like you ran over something that flipped up and damaged the brake line, though the picture might give us more information?)

Technically every Tesla driver uses the brakes every time they start their car. (That is sort of a test every time you use the vehicle.)

Reactions: WhiteWi
I resemble that remark. Then again, the only reason why I nitpicked that video is because the OP kept saying it wasn't his fault, it was his first accident, and that no one got hurt. Of course, he then goes on to say his passenger broke ribs! That person got no slack because he was an admitted liar.

Not to mention he was trying to stiff his insurance company in a prior accident, where he was parallel parking, hit the vehicle behind him, and drove off, thinking he didn't leave a mark! His claims beggar belief since he had to replace his trunk, and then didn't want his insurance company to know. See, a recidivist liar, who never took blame. He deserved to get his video nitpicked, since he could have avoided the accident if he had been paying attention to the traffic around him.

Sure, I agree actually. I also didnt say anyone did anything wrong by "going through" any online videos. The thing is, once someone decides to share something like that on a public forum (here, youtube, etc) all bets are off. My point was, there isnt usually any benefit to the person "posting the video". They have almost nothing to gain (possible approval by internet strangers?) vs a LOT to lose (not only disapproval by internet strangers, but the very real possibility that there is any legal action etc, someone will find the video and use it against them).

There are all sorts of stories about people self incriminating themselves with videos. My only point was, "it would be my advice to not share any videos" and then I was asked "why do you believe that".

Once someone does, all bets are off.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC