Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake fluid and cabin filter replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: brake fluid - the manual (2019 M3 dual motor - 40,000 kms) recommends inspection and replacement if needed every two years. Can this be extended if necessary? Can it be done by a trusted non-Tesla service facility?

Re: cabin filter - if the filter is purchased from Tesla, how difficult is the installation?

Thank you for the advice

Murray

Re: brake fluid - the manual (2019 M3 dual motor - 40,000 kms) recommends inspection and replacement if needed every two years. Can this be extended if necessary? Can it be done by a trusted non-Tesla service facility?

Re: cabin filter - if the filter is purchased from Tesla, how difficult is the installation?

Thank you for the advice

Murray
I just had Mobile Service check my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD before my 4 year basic warranty expired. The two things he did was test my brake fluid with a moisture test strip and change my cabin air filters.

He said of all of the brake fluid he has tested, none have had any moisture. I have changed my own cabin air filters at 1 year and 2 years. It is not difficult to change but the cover screw can be difficult to get to. There is a DIY video on the Tesla DIY site.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Upvote 0
Cabin air filters ARE available from Tesla, and actually quite inexpensive (but you need 2 for the Model 3).

I used this video for guidance:

It wasn't a trivial replacement, and I ordered some special tools (specifically a Torx bit set and a special hand driver to get to the cover screw -- why do they make life that much more difficult?) With the video I felt confident doing the job, although I will say that it did take some time applying the cleaning foam and trying to figure out how that all worked. I'm glad I did it though.

Upvote 0
Brake fluid is hygroscopic- it absorbs water just by existing, so whatever tech claimed none had "any" moisture is just nonsense- doubtless he meant none exceeded the threshold requiring a change yet.

There's certainly folks who go many many years without testing OR changing it but it's not a great idea. Test strips are cheap if you want to be sure though, and any decent shop can do it.

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
Brake fluid is hygroscopic- it absorbs water just by existing, so whatever tech claimed none had "any" moisture is just nonsense- doubtless he meant none exceeded the threshold requiring a change yet.

There's certainly folks who go many many years without testing OR changing it but it's not a great idea. Test strips are cheap if you want to be sure though, and any decent shop can do it.
You are right. I am sure he meant there was not enough moisture present to change the color of the test strip.

I had a 2010 Prius for 9 years and 139,000 miles. I tested the brake fluid every year for 9 years and never had the strip change color.

Upvote 0