Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Hold - How does it work if hit from behind?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought of this while driving through bay area traffic.

Coming from only driving manual transmissions before my model 3 LRAWD. I have regen standard and brake hold turned on. If a driver behind me where to slam into me from behind will the car continue to roll or will it slow/stop after a few feet?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was mention prior.

Reactions: HockeyRooster
I've wondered the same thing. I've been assuming or hoping, it would remain in hold/brake on if hit. Maybe someone in the know will chime in!

we got one example

Just thought of this while driving through bay area traffic.

Coming from only driving manual transmissions before my model 3 LRAWD. I have regen standard and brake hold turned on. If a driver behind me where to slam into me from behind will the car continue to roll or will it slow/stop after a few feet?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was mention prior.
I would think if someone slammed you from the back, you would instinctively step on the brakes...

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I would think if someone slammed you from the back, you would instinctively step on the brakes...
That depends on a speed. I was once slammed in the back at 60mph while standing still - it took me several seconds after it stopped to understand where is my body and what has happened. I found myself pressing gas pedal instead. I most certainly was absent from reality during the crash itself. And I saw it coming and was preparing, btw.

Rear window reached front seats in 4 doors sedan and I broke driver seat with my own body. I also collected 5 more cars in front of me this way. Incredibly I got uninjured considering that the car completely collapsed. And it took me 2k USD to return car to the state where I sold it for 1.5k. Anyway, that was 20 years ago.

But, no, I think if you slammed hard your instincts don't matter - you act as a rag doll in a crash. That made me much more respectful to crash consequences...