TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Brake Hold is one of the coolest features nobody talks about

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by mekberg, Jun 11, 2018.

1. mekberg

mekberg Member

I use it every day - especially at traffic lights and drive thrus.

• Like x 13
  2. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Yes, we really like it too. The only thing I wish is that it would stop the car from rolling backwards when starting on a hill. If you press on the accelerator, the brakes release immediately so the car can roll backwards a bit till the motor catches it.

• Like x 2
  3. mekberg

mekberg Member

Yes I noticed that too. It scared me a little at first.

"So, are we going to go forward or? Oh, okay..."

4. bpjod

bpjod Member

I agree too. I love the hold feature. This past weekend I rented a Grand Cherokee where if you press the brake pedal like you would to activate Hold on a Tesla, it cuts the engine. As soon as you release the brake, the engine restarts. At first I was driving it as if I had the Tesla and the engine kept cutting out and restarting. Annoying as heck.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. Aellinsar

Aellinsar Member

I've only driven the Model 3 for a few days, but I agree - this is a great feature. Acceleration, steering response, brake hold, autopilot - this car is just really easy to drive.

• Like x 2
  6. Dan_LA

Dan_LA Member

What's it the brake hold? To hold on hills?

7. goto10

goto10 Member

Whenever you come to a complete stop if you depress the brake firmly it engages the brakes and holds them until you step on the accelerator.

• Informative x 2
  8. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

Agreed. Love this feature.

9. SigNC

SigNC Member

If you have creep turned off you can just come to a stop and it holds.

• Like x 3
  10. MarkinArch

MarkinArch 1st S.A.TX Non Owner TM3 Delivery

I sent Tesla a comment to the "executive team" through my online account about this exact issue about a week ago. I mentioned that I see no instance where the car should roll back while in Drive - especially bad when you are on an incline in a long line at a right turn only red light.

They called back almost immediately saying that they are aware of the situation and will forward this concern to the "right people", but didn't mention if there would be a solution. I guess we will have to wait and see.

11. mekberg

mekberg Member

#11 mekberg, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    This is true. I, however, do not like creep off because when maneuvering in tight spaces it requires you to lift your foot off of one pedal and apply it to another. This delay is critical when performing 5 point turns in really tight parking garages. Further, in a panic situation, one's reaction might be to press hard on the current pedal. In the brake-feathering scenario you stop. In the other scenario unexpected acceleration occurs.

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 1
  12. eladts

eladts Member

You mean you do like creep, right? Anyway, manual transmissions don't have creep and people manage to park just fine without it.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  13. mekberg

mekberg Member

Yes, sorry. Need coffee.

14. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

But- manuals kinda do have creep.

If you let off the clutch partially in most manuals, without giving it gas, the car will creep forward.

• Like x 2
  15. CinRedMan

CinRedMan Member

Yea, I completely agree. Initially, I was worried brake hold would create issue when I drove an ICE car...I turned creep off which provides the HOLD feature and I LOVE IT.

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Generally speaking, I have driven manual trans cars primarily most of my life.
    Now with the model 3, I like having the "creep mode" turned on...
    Makes small parking lot adjustments easier.

• Like x 3
  17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My older S did not have this feature, but my new X does, just like the Model 3. I am somewhat torn. I do find it cool that I can press the brake, then let go and hover my foot over the accelerator until I'm ready to go. But I do wonder if I just twitched or accidentally pressed down, I might rear-end someone accidentally. When you have to consciously keep pressure on the brake pedal, that's less likely to happen. I know... I can just keep my foot on the brake, but it's tempting not to have to.

18. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

A nice feature to be sure. The real test would be driving the hills of San Francisco. Some of the stop signs around there are set at insane inclines.

• Like x 1
  19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I drive mostly in flat areas. Preference for brake-hold and creep-mode could depend on what type of inclines you usually encounter.

• Like x 1
  20. animorph

animorph Active Member