Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Hold is one of the coolest features nobody talks about

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever you come to a complete stop if you depress the brake firmly it engages the brakes and holds them until you step on the accelerator.

Getting ready to pick up my M3 in two days. This is the only feature I don't really understand.
I want creep mode on to simulate a ICE car until I am use to it.
I understand creep mode "on" mean if your car is stopped, you can let off the brakes, the car will creep forward slowly. Just like a ICE car.

I also understand with this "hold" setting enabled, you don't have to continuously hold your brake? Meaning you can press on your brake until some notification comes on in which you can release the break pedal, your car will continue to break for you? I don't want to rear end anyone.

Can someone educate me in this topic?

So in re-reading this thread again. Sound like you would want your car to come to a complete stop first.
press firmly on the brake it will put it on hold.

Last edited:
I also understand with this "hold" setting enabled, you don't have to continuously hold your brake? Meaning you can press on your brake until some notification comes on in which you can release the break pedal, your car will continue to break for you? I don't want to rear end anyone.
Brake hold is only active when car is stopped and brake pedal is pressed firmly. It turns off when accelerator is pressed to move off.

This is not a new thing. My 2012 Mini has it.

The hold feature acts differently depending on the creep setting. If creep is off, then barely any additional brake pedal force results in hold being applied immediately after your stop. It often happens without you even noticing. With creep on, the brake force threshold to activate hold is significantly higher. With creep on, upon stopping you would rarely find hold has been applied, because it will take like another hard press of the brake pedal to activate it. It was this reason I don't use creep. I enjoy the almost automatic application of hold enough that I am willing to give creep up even though I prefer it. In any case application of the accelerator will release.

Yes, we really like it too. The only thing I wish is that it would stop the car from rolling backwards when starting on a hill. If you press on the accelerator, the brakes release immediately so the car can roll backwards a bit till the motor catches it.

You know this is actually one expected feature I LOVE in my M3. I enjoy driving manual cars and shimming the accelerator on a hill just feels great in the M3. It also confuses the racer types because it looks like you're revving an engine with no sound :)

But- manuals kinda do have creep.

If you let off the clutch partially in most manuals, without giving it gas, the car will creep forward.
To be fair, by doing that you are actively engaging the car in gear (you are no longer neutral, the RPMs will rise). Creep doesn't require the driver to do anything.

I teach people to drive stick first without using gas, just modulate the clutch pedal in gear and it will drive forward.

Until now, I have always driven manual transmissions. Subaru is one of the most popular cars in Colorado. "Hill Hold" has been on Subarus for several years and was always very helpful when trying to start UP a hill. I believe there were a few other car models that also had that feature for manual transmissions. Not sure if they had it on automatics. I am curious.
Two things:

1) GO BRONCOS! (New York based DEN Fan).
2) I agree, I've had one MT WRX w/o Hill Hold, and two MT WRXs and one STI w/ Hill Hold and I like it on steep hills, especially in the snow. A lot of the time I can prevent it from engaging in the dry, when I don't need it.

Last edited:
To be fair, by doing that you are actively engaging the car in gear (you are no longer neutral, the RPMs will rise). Creep doesn't require the driver to do anything.

... I'm pretty sure creep requires the car to be in D or R (ie "in gear")....and that, just like a manual (or traditional automatic), it won't go anywhere on its own in neutral.

Remember the context was using creep to park as something a manual couldn't do... when it absolutely can do that just by letting the clutch out a bit while in gear.

... I'm pretty sure creep requires the car to be in D or R (ie "in gear")....and that, just like a manual (or traditional automatic), it won't go anywhere on its own in neutral.

Remember the context was using creep to park as something a manual couldn't do... when it absolutely can do that just by letting the clutch out a bit while in gear.
I don't consider my leg modulating the clutch to be the same as an automatic which creeps or rolls without driver intervention. An automatic can be on a flat surface, without the brake pressed and drive forward...a manual will sit still (unless on a slope).

But, I think I get what you are trying to convey, you can "creep" by just modulating the clutch, in order to aide parking situations. I agree.

I don't consider my leg modulating the clutch to be the same as an automatic which creeps or rolls without driver intervention.

Except to really use creep to park (again- the thing we were talking about) in an automatic you are... modulating your leg on the brake, instead of the clutch.

Pretty much the exact same experience as doing it with a manual in 1st or reverse just your foot is in a slightly different place.

In the context An automatic can be on a flat surface, without the brake pressed and drive forward...a manual will sit still (unless on a slope).

But, I think I get what you are trying to convey, you can "creep" by just modulating the clutch, in order to aide parking situations. I agree.

Exactly... I mean you've obviously correct about the auto/flat surface thing, but you don't use it that way to park since you're trying to make small adjustments not actually travel any significant distance- so instead you're modulating that with the brake.

Reactions: Snow Drift