Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Hold is one of the coolest features nobody talks about

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree too. I love the hold feature. This past weekend I rented a Grand Cherokee where if you press the brake pedal like you would to activate Hold on a Tesla, it cuts the engine. As soon as you release the brake, the engine restarts. At first I was driving it as if I had the Tesla and the engine kept cutting out and restarting. Annoying as heck.

Yes, we really like it too. The only thing I wish is that it would stop the car from rolling backwards when starting on a hill. If you press on the accelerator, the brakes release immediately so the car can roll backwards a bit till the motor catches it.

I sent Tesla a comment to the "executive team" through my online account about this exact issue about a week ago. I mentioned that I see no instance where the car should roll back while in Drive - especially bad when you are on an incline in a long line at a right turn only red light.

They called back almost immediately saying that they are aware of the situation and will forward this concern to the "right people", but didn't mention if there would be a solution. I guess we will have to wait and see.

If you have creep turned off you can just come to a stop and it holds.

This is true. I, however, do not like creep off because when maneuvering in tight spaces it requires you to lift your foot off of one pedal and apply it to another. This delay is critical when performing 5 point turns in really tight parking garages. Further, in a panic situation, one's reaction might be to press hard on the current pedal. In the brake-feathering scenario you stop. In the other scenario unexpected acceleration occurs.

Last edited:
This is true. I, however, do not like creep because when maneuvering in tight spaces it requires you to lift your foot off of one pedal and apply it to another. This delay is critical when performing 5 point turns in really tight parking garages. Further, in a panic situation, one's reaction might be to press hard on the current pedal. In the brake-feathering scenario you stop. In the other scenario unexpected acceleration occurs.

You mean you do like creep, right? Anyway, manual transmissions don't have creep and people manage to park just fine without it.

My older S did not have this feature, but my new X does, just like the Model 3. I am somewhat torn. I do find it cool that I can press the brake, then let go and hover my foot over the accelerator until I'm ready to go. But I do wonder if I just twitched or accidentally pressed down, I might rear-end someone accidentally. When you have to consciously keep pressure on the brake pedal, that's less likely to happen. I know... I can just keep my foot on the brake, but it's tempting not to have to.