Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Hold question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched and cannot find an answer to this specific question.

When Hold is engaged, will it stop the car from moving forward if hit from behind? In the old days of drivers' ed. classes, we were always taught to keep our foot on the brake pedal when stopped in traffic, just in case some bozo hits us from behind, in order not to roll forward and hit the car in front of us. Is this something that the brake Hold mode will do, or will it release if hit from behind?

Just wondering - not that it's happened.

Reactions: fseir
I dont think that old advice holds.

If you are sitting on the brakes, being hit from behind would knock the car forward and your foot off the brake anyway (unless, you were really really holding onto it intently, all of the time).

The entire concern might not be so germane anyway, since that car behind would likely hold all responsibility, and (unfortunately) your car would bear the brunt of the impact regardless if braked or loose.

Safer thing to do, is to provide a bit more space in front.

When Hold is engaged, will it stop the car from moving forward if hit from behind?
That will depend on the force of the impact. Hit hard enough by a heavy enough vehicle and your car will move.

If you are worried that even a soft impact will somehow cause the brakes to disengage when in Hold mode, I think that is unlikely.

Reactions: RedModel3
That will depend on the force of the impact. Hit hard enough by a heavy enough vehicle and your car will move.

If you are worried that even a soft impact will somehow cause the brakes to disengage when in Hold mode, I think that is unlikely.
I agree. The car should not release the hold until you tell it to. You should not just freely roll forward, though if you’re whacked hard enough, you’re going to move, regardless whether it’s the hold feature or your foot applying the brakes.

I have no intention of testing my theory.

Reactions: RedModel3