TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Brake job costs

Discussion in 'Model X' started by irvineboy, Dec 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

can anyone share the cost of the front and rear brake jobs on their MX? Do you have to go to a Tesla Service Center?

2. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

Why r u needing a brake job? These pads last forever, mine have 100k on them. The front pads on my S are corvette z06 pads. Brake pads take one hour to change, easy job. Watch YouTube video on changing corvette pads. My NAPA buddy looked them up, that's I know they are corvette pads, same caliper, just has tesla name on it.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Xtek

Xtek Member

It’s recommended to change the rotors with the pads.

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

I recommend... they want your money.. I have had 5 corvettes, a detomaso Pantera, have 2 muscle cars now. That is pure bull. Some states will check the weare on rotors, you cannot turn them. You can run your finger over lip of rotor to feel the cut. Mine have 110k, are fine. My pads are at 50 percent worn. He has a 2015? Its new.

• Like x 1
  5. Xtek

Xtek Member

Generally rotors will get grooved. It's not a question of whether or not they work without resurfacing or replacing but they can lead to less efficient braking as well as wearing your pads prematurely.

6. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in lake Charles LA)
    is model S and X pads the same? Good info on the corvette pads.

7. Need

Need Active Member

I have a Lexus hybrid, my first brake pad change was at 150,000 miles and they still have pads left. No need to change rotors according to Lexus service center. The best thing about hybrid and electric cars is... no brake dust on the wheels! ;)

• Like x 1
  8. Kingbao

Kingbao Member

love my Tesla for that (... no brake dust on the wheels!)

• Like x 1
  9. Lbkmxp100d

Lbkmxp100d Member

Most manufacturers I believe recommend only “turning” rotors. This is the process where a machine removes a very small layer of material to smith rotor back out. They can only be turned a few times before they become too thin but don’t think a Tesla would ever run into that problem.

10. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

Carmine, I will check tomorrow about pads

11. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Can any shop change brakes or do you have to go to Tesla?

12. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Any shop can change brakes ..that said I have never had brake pads changed on any of my three Tesla’s lol

13. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

Why so interested in brake jobs, irvineboy?

1) they are regular car brakes. Nothing different about them compared to regular cars
    2) because tesla uses the electric motor to do a lot of braking, the regular brakes last a ridiculously long time. Longer than a lot of people will own the car.
    3) grooving and warping usually happens with a level of use that you’re unlikely to encounter with a Tesla (see above #2) and if it does happen see above #1

14. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Unless you live in a place with a lot of road salt (snow) then you do not need brake pad service. The pads will last a long time due to regenerative braking. I remember our family had a Prius and even at 150k miles, the original OEM pads still had plenty of mm left.

15. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

My Tesla 2018 S100D has warped rotors now at 26000 km only. Yes I use them during harder braking.

But more importantly I do run the car through a touchiness wash 2x a week and apparently I’ve done too many coming off a highway. Cold water on a hot rotor...there’s the warp. It’s not just that Tesla uses regen. If the rotors are hot and water comes into contact...