Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake job miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd post an update.

$600 all in? Damn. What parts/brand did you use?
My quote from Tesla using OEM parts, was $2260 for all four. $1020 for the fronts only.
Quote from a local shop that services Teslas, using aftermarket "OEF3" brand parts (never heard of them) was $840 all in for fronts only, and their quote for doing it with OEM parts was slightly more than Tesla's quote.
Mine were similar to Beatle's post- powerstop coated rotors and full ceramic pads.

Why go OEM for brakes? There are so many great brake component manufacturers, don't need to pay the extra cost for stamping "Tesla" on them.

Coming from ICE cars I think 93,500 miles on a set of brake pads is really good.
Agreed, it's pretty good for an ICE car, but most model S owners in absence of other issues (weather/salt, stuck rocks, damage, etc.) are reporting way in excess of 100kmi before needing new rotors & pads. Some have made it to around 200kmi and beyond.
The most I ever got on an ICE car was around 85kmi on my 2000 Dodge Dakota, which had a 5 spd stick transmission, and I'm pretty good at doing rpm matched shifting for engine braking with stick&clutch.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Mine were similar to Beatle's post- powerstop coated rotors and full ceramic pads.

Why go OEM for brakes? There are so many great brake component manufacturers, don't need to pay the extra cost for stamping "Tesla" on them.
Mostly because I haven't done the research, and didn't have the time to research what parts I should get. Also didn't want to wait to order parts. I was happy with the OEM parts, and the brand the outside shop offered up was one I'd never heard of, and Dr. Google didn't offer up info on them either. So I declined. I also was able to move up my appointment at the Tesla SC several days. Also, even with the aftermarket/generic brand parts, the outside shop wasn't THAT much cheaper than Tesla (as shown in my post above with quote $$ numbers.) Also, I don't have the space, tools, or time, to do a brake job myself anymore. Haven't done so since I was in my early 20's, which.... was a long time ago. :)

I’d tell Tesla you just want the pads replaced. Agree with the above comments, can’t think of any reason why you’d need to replace all 4 rotors at less than 100k miles if they aren’t warped or otherwise compromised.

They’re just brakes… there’s nothing special about them at all. You could maybe source parts online from tire rack or similar and ask an independent shop to install… ?
The independent shop I went to measured the rotors. Fronts are low enough to warrant replacement, but rears have some life left. I might ask Tesla to just do the pads on the rears, and pads+rotors on the fronts.

Although... I think most shops these days prefer to replace rotors at the same time as pads now, because rotors are made thinner than they used to be; so no more turning of rotors. If I replace just the pads, I wonder if by the time the new pads wear out, the rotors will be an unsafe thickness?

On a street car it's pretty rare for me to replace pads and not replace rotors. The originals are generally pretty rusty, worn unevenly, close to their wear limits often enough that I just replace them. People used to (or may still) turn them, but that requires a brake lathe, and the cost for that is often within spitting distance of a new pair. I'm cheap enough to do the job myself, but also lazy enough that I don't want to do the job again in a year. :) Though at Tesla's prices I'd have to think twice. $330 for a pair of plain steel rotors just seems like highway robbery to me.

Reactions: seenhear
To be clear about the rotors and pads, each manufacturer has specified their service limits and the value is stamped on the parts. Tesla OEM rotors have 2mm (or 0,08 in) thickness wear amount, from 32mm > 30mm at front and 28mm > 26mm at rear. I have no clue how OP have had the pads wear down to service limit which is both front and rear 2mm (or 0,08 in) thickness of pad excluding the plate? I have measured mine annually and last year October was my rotors down by 0,5mm at front and 0,2mm at rear; pads had lost only 1,2-1,5mm at front only. Rear pads had no indication of wear at all. Parking brake pads was down from 5,5mm > 5mm (service limit is 1.0mm). Mine is 03/2016 with Brembo brakes, little under 69k mi.

• Informative
Reactions: seenhear and Yurand
To be clear about the rotors and pads, each manufacturer has specified their service limits and the value is stamped on the parts. Tesla OEM rotors have 2mm (or 0,08 in) thickness wear amount, from 32mm > 30mm at front and 28mm > 26mm at rear. I have no clue how OP have had the pads wear down to service limit which is both front and rear 2mm (or 0,08 in) thickness of pad excluding the plate? I have measured mine annually and last year October was my rotors down by 0,5mm at front and 0,2mm at rear; pads had lost only 1,2-1,5mm at front only. Rear pads had no indication of wear at all. Parking brake pads was down from 5,5mm > 5mm (service limit is 1.0mm). Mine is 03/2016 with Brembo brakes, little under 69k mi.
Thanks for that info.
Despite being a mechanical engineer, and having replaced rotors on a few cars in my teens and 20's, I'm not knowledgeable about how to measure rotors. The tech at the outside shop used a set of plastic gauges; they were a set of about 12-15 gauges with several colored green, several yellow, several red. He did not remove the wheels, just used the gauges through the spokes. He said the rear rotors were between green & yellow, I think he said 6mm as a number. He said the front rotors were between yellow and red, and 3mm as a number. I could have the 3mm and 6mm backwards, I don't remember now.

My front brake pads at 50k (probably earlier) were seized in the brackets. I was also getting pulses through the pedal. This was a Chicago-area car so I assume salt had a hand in the early demise, but it's a good idea to clean/lube the brakes periodically so they don't end up like this:

View attachment 846566

I bought new pads and rotors and did the job myself for $220. Tesla wanted $2k or something absurd. There really is nothing special about the front brakes. The rear brakes have an electronic parking brake that is released by putting the car in tow mode. I'd find another shop.
Hi, I have a S75D, 2016 and I believe it's time to replace my pads. Did you replace the rotors as well? What brake pads would you recommend for front&rear? Thx

Update: Tesla did the brake job last week, and the final bill was around $1900 for rotos+pads on all four wheels. I'm not sure why they knocked the price down but I'll take it. However I haven't paid them yet.
Picked up the car Friday night, drove it home (about 10 miles of city streets), smelled like hot brakes much of the way. I noticed also that if I slowed down gradually with regen only no brake pedal, the car would come to a complete stop on a flat street; whereas before it would roll for a long time without stopping. I figured these symptoms meant the pads were rubbing a bit much, and maybe just needed some break-in braking time. I drove a couple errands and did some excessively hard stops whenever I could. No improvement.
The next day (Saturday) I drove with 3 adult passengers 30 miles on the freeway to the Stanford / USC football game (STN got killed, but played well). Everyone commented on the palpable and audible vibration the car was emitting. Also, the power meter was showing much more power usage than normal for flat fwy driving; Something wasn't right.
So, today I brought it back and they are trying to diagnose what's wrong. I went for a ride with their diagnosis technician, and he acknowledged the sound and vibration.
We shall see....

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Here in the north with salt infested winter roads brake servicing is a must. Also needs to be done wherever you may live but less frequently. I install winter wheels every Dec and summer wheels get put back on every spring. When this happens the brakes are fully serviced, cleaned and lubed so twice a year for me. This will assure there is no sticking which will cause premature wear. Most ignore brake service and then wonder why they do not get great longevity out of them. One of the most important maintenance items you can do for your brakes and apart from tire rotations and filter changes, about the only maintenance required on our Teslas.