Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Light Animation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen posts about being able to see brake lights on/off animated on the car info screen shown after tapping the Tesla logo in the center of the display but my car has no light animation on that screen. The only lights I see animated are on the control/setting screen, but it doesn't include brake lights... Am I missing something or did this change at some point? I'm running 6.0

I've seen posts about being able to see brake lights on/off animated on the car info screen shown after tapping the Tesla logo in the center of the display but my car has no light animation on that screen. The only lights I see animated are on the control/setting screen, but it doesn't include brake lights... Am I missing something or did this change at some point? I'm running 6.0

Used to work in the older software, but they removed it at some point.

Usually it's 15 kW on the regen scale.

Perhaps that's how it works out on level ground, but it's not tied to the amount of regen. For instance, there's a hill I regularly drive on, and I generate 30 kW while maintaining speed downhill. The brake lights do not come on in this case. This is also evidence that it's not tied to an accelerometer. I think it's most likely triggered by a certain amount of change in the RPM.

It's not tied to regen power.

15 kW of regen at high speed (say, 60 mph) is not much deceleration, so they don't come on there. At 20 mph, 15kW is quite a bit of deceleration and they will come on.

Rather than thinking of it in terms of regen power, try to get a feel for the amount of deceleration that sets them off. Soon you'll be able to predict it reliably enough to not prematurely trigger the brake lights.

And, by the way, welcome to the club! Nice to see another Virginia Model S!

At night I just leave the live rear video screen on, and marvel, then cringe, at how often the brake lights go on and off and on and off as I do the slightest acceleration/deceleration-regen as traffic conditions warrant. I can only imagine what the driver behind me is thinking -- geez, this guy is brake-happy.... etc....

Acceleration is defined as a change in velocity over some time interval. Going down hill at a constant velocity is not acceleration. Going downhill at a constant speed, on the other hand, might include some acceleration. Speed is not velocity. Speed is a scalar value. Velocity is a vector value. A change in direction is a change in velocity even though your speed might be the same. That confused me no end in high school :)

Acceleration is defined as a change in velocity over some time interval. Going down hill at a constant velocity is not acceleration. Going downhill at a constant speed, on the other hand, might include some acceleration. Speed is not velocity. Speed is a scalar value. Velocity is a vector value. A change in direction is a change in velocity even though your speed might be the same. That confused me no end in high school :)

That's one definition of acceleration. But accelerometers measure g-force (proper acceleration) not change in velocity (coordinate acceleration). At constant velocity, you still experience 1 g from gravity, and an accelerometer will detect that.

Accelerometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At night I just leave the live rear video screen on, and marvel, then cringe, at how often the brake lights go on and off and on and off as I do the slightest acceleration/deceleration-regen as traffic conditions warrant. I can only imagine what the driver behind me is thinking -- geez, this guy is brake-happy.... etc....

Watching your brake lights is a great tool for smoothing your driving technique in heavy traffic and mastering the use of regen to avoid strong deceleration that turns on the brake lights. I try to drive so the brake lights only come on when the guy behind me is following too close or there's a need for a hard stop owing to what's going in front of me.