Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Light Weirdness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else see something like this? I followed my wife home tonight and noticed the brake lights behaving oddly. Neither side illuminates fully.
E35BC562-B9D1-43D2-9080-E0A7F6A71073.jpeg

It looks as though the right taillight is from the earlier builds while the left is more recent.

a few weeks ago Tesla started using a different tail light assembly for the Y (similar to what is used in Europe). Instead of the middle of the tail light being the brake light, the exterior “C” is now the brake light. What used to be the brake light is now the amber turn signal.

Go out to the car and turn on the left turn signal. It will be amber in color. Now do the right; it will be red.

long story short: schedule a service appointment and they’ll put a new taillight on the right side that matches the left

Reactions: mark95476
It looks as though the right taillight is from the earlier builds while the left is more recent.

a few weeks ago Tesla started using a different tail light assembly for the Y (similar to what is used in Europe). Instead of the middle of the tail light being the brake light, the exterior “C” is now the brake light. What used to be the brake light is now the amber turn signal.

Go out to the car and turn on the left turn signal. It will be amber in color. Now do the right; it will be red.

long story short: schedule a service appointment and they’ll put a new taillight on the right side that matches the left
Thanks. I did look closer and you are correct. They are two different types of taillight. I have a service appointment set for next Friday. Hopefully they can take care of it in one appointment.

Great eye! -- Edit: This was a dumb response. I intended to complement Protect1989 for deducing the reason.