Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Brake lights" during faster deceleration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love and appreciate using Regen/ deceleration as a form of braking - one pedal driving as they say but I'm wondering about the safety of it on a quicker decel. There are not any kind of rear lights that come on as it would if brakes were applied ( as there wouldn't be on a petrol car either) just thinking about how it may increase the risk of being rear ended. There is applying of the brakes of course..

Actually, yes there are. You can see when they are applied by looking at the avatar of your car on the screen. Its harder to see in firmwares less than 2019.16.X because the car avatar is smaller... but its still there.

In my opinion, the opposite of what you are stating is true. The brake lights come on too much, when using regen braking... especially if the person driving the tesla uses the technique that many drivers of ICE cars use of "pulsing" the accelerator.

Many people do this (pulse the accelerator, or push it down and let off, push it down and let off). Most of them likely dont even realize they are doing it, vs driving by holding their foot pressing the pedal at the desired point to maintain speed. If someone drives a tesla like that, they are in a perpetual "speed up / slow down / speed up / slow down" situation, with their brake lights flashing each time they take their foot off the pedal.

I love and appreciate using Regen/ deceleration as a form of braking - one pedal driving as they say but I'm wondering about the safety of it on a quicker decel. There are not any kind of rear lights that come on as it would if brakes were applied ( as there wouldn't be on a petrol car either) just thinking about how it may increase the risk of being rear ended. There is applying of the brakes of course..

Yes, there are. The brake lights automatically come on any time the car reaches a certain rate of deceleration.

Reactions: Pegann
yes, agree with Big Earl. I wonder if what you are noticing is that during highway speeds, maybe the brake lights don't come on immediately, but its because the car isn't slowing down as quickly as when it gets to a lower speed and greater deceleration. There is no indication at this time that rear-end accidents are any greater than any other car due to the way the Tesla functions the brake lights.

Actually, yes there are. You can see when they are applied by looking at the avatar of your car on the screen. Its harder to see in firmwares less than 2019.16.X because the car avatar is smaller... but its still there.

In my opinion, the opposite of what you are stating is true. The brake lights come on too much, when using regen braking... especially if the person driving the tesla uses the technique that many drivers of ICE cars use of "pulsing" the accelerator.

Many people do this (pulse the accelerator, or push it down and let off, push it down and let off). Most of them likely dont even realize they are doing it, vs driving by holding their foot pressing the pedal at the desired point to maintain speed. If someone drives a tesla like that, they are in a perpetual "speed up / slow down / speed up / slow down" situation, with their brake lights flashing each time they take their foot off the pedal.
yes, agree with Big Earl. I wonder if what you are noticing is that during highway speeds, maybe the brake lights don't come on immediately, but its because the car isn't slowing down as quickly as when it gets to a lower speed and greater deceleration. There is no indication at this time that rear-end accidents are any greater than any other car due to the way the Tesla functions the brake lights.
I'll test it out when appropriate,

Thank you. Yeah I'm adjusting to the Regen braking, learning to modulate the accelerate pedal, hopefully I'm not driving in the "pulsing" manner to the annoyance of other drivers . I gotta tell you, I really enjoy this Regen braking though in my opinion, definitely a noticeable smoother ride than hydraulic braking.

Reactions: Big Earl