TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Brake lights / emergency brake lights on model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Hybris, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Hybris

Hybris Member

Owners of the model S. Do you Know if there is an emergency braking light on the model S? What I mean is when braking hard if the Hazard lights go on or that the brake light pulsate or similar?

On my BMW 1M the Hazard lights did go on automatically when braking hard. As that car had some pretty good brakes I think that feature is really good.

The model S do also have some pretty good Brembos... And accelerates like an M5.

Anyone know about emergency brakelights?

Yes I know that regenerative braking do light up the braking lights but here I ask for emergency braking lights / warning.

2. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

3. huntjo

huntjo Member

Probably not necessary in addition to regular brake lights. Explain to me the rationale?

4. Hybris

Hybris Member

Today in the lines to work there was a sudden stop. The volvo infront of me did break very hard and his emergency braking light flashed to warn me that he was braking very hard. Did help me to avoid a crash. Also a bit icy roads this morning...

when you need to brake very hard it warns cars behind to minimize the risk of them crashing into you. Its a superb feature when someone need to do a very hard stop. Especially in cars with good brakes like sportcars. Tend to stop much quicker than other cars. Strange that tesla dont have this. Hope for an update. Could probably be done in software.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Is this a European requirement? Maybe the Euro-spec Model S cars do this too. Shouldn't be hard to do considering they already use an accelerometer to turn on the regular brake lights under heavy re-gen.

6. Hybris

Hybris Member

Dont think its a requirement in Europe. Just a smart detail.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Indeed. It's common in my neck of the woods for people to hit the 4-ways manually if they have to brake hard on the freeway.

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

It makes more sense, IMO, when the blinkers are amber and not combined with the brake lights. I'm more liable to pay attention to solid-on brake lights than someone who is flashing them. Better still if you get simultaneous solid brake lights and emergency flashers, but I don't think that's possible with the US Model S. In Europe where they get the amber turn signals it would be, though.

9. huntjo

huntjo Member

I guess I see what you mean. If we brake quicker than they do, a collision occurs. However in a perfect world, people leave adequate braking distance knowing their own car. I know most people don't actually do this however.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the amber turn signals, but I am a fan of separate brake/turn signal elements in the tail lamp assembly, and agree that would be better. However, with the CHMSL (third brake light) it's pretty obvious what's going on when it happens.