Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake lights on a little sooner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you drove behind a tesla recently and saw how often they come on, when the driver may not even be aware they come on (like whenever you are regen braking basically) you might be surprised.

They (lights) come on too much, imo, and it gives the appearance of your typical tesla driver who is not used to them "brake checking" everyone. Perhaps that is what is happening to you with people "on your neck on a slow approach to an intersection, crossroads etc", because unless you are careful, you are likely pulsing your brakes at them like you are brake checking them.

Im not trying to pile on here, but I drove behind someone in a brand new model Y today, on my commute to work (39 miles one way commute to work). They were coming from the same general suburban neighborhood I live in, and got off the freeway at the same exit etc. I was behind them about 20 ish miles of commute distance.

Their model Y was new enough that it still had the brand dealer temp plates on it.

They would jackrabbit off, then regen brake, then speed up too much , then regen brake. They had not figured out how to modulate the pedal well, and were braking because they were accelerating too fast, not because there was traffic in front of them.

The regen braking looked like a tap on the brakes, so the appearance was "accelerate..." brake light flick on and off, brake light flick on and off, brake light flick on and off (no traffic in front of them).... accelerate......... repeat.

OP glance down (if safe) at the avatar of your car on the screen. When you are braking, the brake lights on the car avatar will light up too. I am guessing you might end up surprised at how often that actually is.

IMO - Way better to come on often and early, rather than late and infrequently. The latter gets you rear ended and tons of time in the body shop. The first just frustrates some drivers, and also wakes up others who are distracted by their dumb phones.

Reactions: Young Phenom
Tell me you are from Texas without saying you are from Texas ;)
Texas - correct - mostly - you can tell by all the WISDOM, love that state and spent decades there (however the brutal summer heat and super drought gets people crazy) been traveling between a few states for the last year. Lots of road rage out there lately - just glad I don't live where petrol is $7-$9+ a gallon - those people are super upset after a stop at a gas station.

Last edited: