Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake lights on during regen?

Billee

Nov 28, 2020
Tampa
I'm a new owner and I was surprised at the amount of deceleration during regen. Do the brake lights come on during regeneration to warn drivers behind?

Apone

Oct 7, 2020
Philadelphia Area
look at the image of your car on the screen. You can see when the brake lights come on. I thought the same and I see that many times they do come on if there is enough regen force.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus

OCR1

Jan 28, 2018
Southern California
I probably only touch the brake pedal on my car about once a week, usually when a light turns yellow at the last second. Otherwise I virtually never need to engage the brakes to stop the car. You will get used to this. And as @Apone stated, the brake lights do go on when the car begins to slow down so that a driver behind you has no idea whether the car is slowing down due to regen or due to the brakes being engaged. You can confirm this is happening on the car’s screen, but after a while you won’t give it any attention because it just works.

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
And as @Apone stated, the brake lights do go on when the car begins to slow down so that a driver behind you has no idea whether the car is slowing down due to regen or due to the brakes being engaged.
Whether your car is slowing due to regen or due to you using the brake pedal is irrelevant to the car behind you: your car is slowing down and THAT is the important information your car is relaying.

I say that brake lights communicate BETTER (to the car behind you) with regen than in an ICE car. With ICE, I can put my foot on the brake pedal just slightly and the brake lights will come on, even if little-to-no braking is occurring. Though I haven't done any scientific analysis, the indication seems to only show when a relevant amount of slow-down is occurring with your car.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
I've been told that the brake lights come on when the vehicle deceleration hits some threshold, like 1G, or something like that.

Mr X

Future Martian
Jan 18, 2013
Simi Valley, CA
They do light up but the brake lights on the 3 are so weak. The new ones on the Y are brighter and better.

Still not sure if the new 3 has the Y tail lights. No one has confirmed. If so I want to get them

elptxjc

Dec 15, 2019
El Paso, TX
I've been told that the brake lights come on when the vehicle deceleration hits some threshold, like 1G, or something like that.
If that's the case, they'd NEVER light up. Ha ha. Your ABS might even kick in to reach 1.0G deceleration rate with A/S tires, so it'd never happen with regen alone. It'd basically be a panic brake event. But glad to hear the brake lights turn on during regen braking :).

Reactions: TLLMRRJ

Thomas7

TheMomentThinker
Aug 22, 2020
Canada
look at the image of your car on the screen. You can see when the brake lights come on. I thought the same and I see that many times they do come on if there is enough regen force.
Woah I didn’t know that. Thanks! Haha learning something new everyday. :D

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
If that's the case, they'd NEVER light up. Ha ha. Your ABS might even kick in to reach 1.0G deceleration rate with A/S tires, so it'd never happen with regen alone. It'd basically be a panic brake event. But glad to hear the brake lights turn on during regen braking :).
Yeah, "or something like that". I'm wondering if the number I saw was 0.1G.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC