Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Lights on Infotainment Screen not Showing anymore when Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strangely my brake lights no longer stay on when braking in my MYLR on the center screen avatar. They blink once when braking and goes off again, even at complete stops. I checked my physical brake lights and everything works fine, so its not a bad bulb. This was working fine before.

Has anyone else notice this on their car?

I updated to 2022.28.2 last night and now the brake lights also don’t show on the FSD realization avatar. I actually look at that brake light a lot because I’m a bit paranoid about cars behind me seeing my braking after getting rear-ended last year. So for me this bug sucks! Hopefully it gets remedied soon.

I updated to 2022.28.2 last night and now the brake lights also don’t show on the FSD realization avatar. I actually look at that brake light a lot because I’m a bit paranoid about cars behind me seeing my braking after getting rear-ended last year. So for me this bug sucks! Hopefully it gets remedied soon.
Same for me. I did notice at night when the headlights are on the brake lights do display on the screen, just not when headlights are off.

Someone in another thread mentioned that the brake light animation is working when the headlights are on (28.1~28.2). I verified that in my car, so at least there's that. I guess it will take at least another update, if not more, before it gets fixed, which sucks a lot. I'm afraid not very many people have noticed this though, given the small number of people who have brought this up around these forums, so it could take a while to get fixed.

Same here - 2022.28.2 MYLR issue has a few variants:
- while headlights are on auto during the day the UI break lights would not show up as you decelerate. May blink on for a very short while the disappear right after.
- if you switch headlights from auto to on during the day - the UI break lights will show without a problem.
- if you turn your blinkers on the UI breaklight will seem to flicker / flash…
- in every case the actual break lights are actually working ok - it is only a UI issue.

Same here - 2022.28.2 MYLR issue has a few variants:
- while headlights are on auto during the day the UI break lights would not show up as you decelerate. May blink on for a very short while the disappear right after.
- if you switch headlights from auto to on during the day - the UI break lights will show without a problem.
- if you turn your blinkers on the UI breaklight will seem to flicker / flash…
- in every case the actual break lights are actually working ok - it is only a UI issue.

Have someone verify your brake lights function, until the bug in the infographic is fixed.

How did you ever drive another vehicle in the past given this level of paranoia? Truly don't get the hyperbolic response to a feature I've literally seen nowhere else on any car.

Last edited:
Definitely a bug, but a cute feature, not a safety / validation mechanism that your brake lights are working.

I'd argue drivers relying on this actually create a safety issue by checking the infographic / car avatar, instead of eyes-forward or glancing in the rearview, where they ought to be.

Reactions: Notch Peak
Definitely a bug, but a cute feature, not a safety / validation mechanism that your brake lights are working.

I'd argue drivers relying on this actually create a safety issue by checking the infographic / car avatar, instead of eyes-forward or glancing in the rearview, where they ought to be.
Agee - agree - and agree - not sure many adults will be driving based on the car avatar - so not a concnern… but if the feature is there then have work correctly. Otherwise just remove it altogether

Reactions: Corndart

While driving we use that brake light indicator on the avatar to insure the rear brake lights are in fact ON when we expect them on. We think of it as confirmation on your screen view glance. This probably increases safety, the reason the feature is likely there when it works.

While driving we use that brake light indicator on the avatar to insure the rear brake lights are in fact ON when we expect them on. We think of it as confirmation on your screen view glance. This probably increases safety, the reason the feature is likely there when it works.
Certainly an agree to disagree . I still maintain this is an entirely redundant feature that distracts you from focusing on the road. Every glance at the screen is a distraction, where the driver may miss something critical, particularly when slowing down/ braking.

Additionally, there's nothing that leads me to conclude for a Tesla that rear brake lights mysteriously fail, and that somehow this avatar is critical functionality to verify every time I am applying brakes or 1 pedal drive does them on my behalf. It's ludicrous.

Certainly an agree to disagree . I still maintain this is an entirely redundant feature that distracts you from focusing on the road. Every glance at the screen is a distraction, where the driver may miss something critical, particularly when slowing down/ braking.

Additionally, there's nothing that leads me to conclude for a Tesla that rear brake lights mysteriously fail, and that somehow this avatar is critical functionality to verify every time I am applying brakes or 1 pedal drive does them on my behalf. It's ludicrous.
I think it's just that for some of us, it's nice to be able to see when the brake light comes on since we're rarely stepping on the brake pedal and therefore don't really know when the brake lights come on. I certainly don't look at it all the time, or even that often, but sometimes when I see cars behind me closing in, I like to take a quick glance at the avatar to see if/when the brake light is coming on if I'm slowing down.

For me it's not critical to have it, and it hasn't been an issue during the last week without it, but I sure hope they fix it because I just like having that avatar to have a full representation of the car's lighting situation.

Reactions: Hellpops
Same here - I noticed it after 2022.28.2, and was ironically at Tesla Service the next day for new suspension arms in my MY. They checked out everything and said it had to be software, as they checked out the physical lights and made sure they worked.

I think it's just that for some of us, it's nice to be able to see when the brake light comes on since we're rarely stepping on the brake pedal and therefore don't really know when the brake lights come on. I certainly don't look at it all the time, or even that often, but sometimes when I see cars behind me closing in, I like to take a quick glance at the avatar to see if/when the brake light is coming on if I'm slowing down.

For me it's not critical to have it, and it hasn't been an issue during the last week without it, but I sure hope they fix it because I just like having that avatar to have a full representation of the car's lighting situation.
Not dismissing its a nifty feature. It does not replace a periodic *actual* verification of lighting functionality including headlights, tail lights, turn signals, running lights, and brake lights by seeing them operate as expected.

Apologies for the aggressive tone, this one got me admittedly overly animated .