Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake lites when using regenerative braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The brake lights on your on-screen car do show what’s happening outside. I find the display to be excessively subtle though, and I have to watch it closely to see it. Unfortunately that is usually also when I am closing in on traffic and should have my eyes *outside* the car.

But there is a “deceleration “ threshold which triggers the brake lights to turn on when using regen. I forget exactly what the number is, something like 0.3 G.

Edit: just noticed you have an X and I’m assuming my 3 is similar... this has got me in trouble before...

• Funny
Reactions: jerseygirl18
The brake lights on your on-screen car do show what’s happening outside. I find the display to be excessively subtle though, and I have to watch it closely to see it. Unfortunately that is usually also when I am closing in on traffic and should have my eyes *outside* the car.

But there is a “deceleration “ threshold which triggers the brake lights to turn on when using regen. I forget exactly what the number is, something like 0.3 G.

Edit: just noticed you have an X and I’m assuming my 3 is similar... this has got me in trouble before...
how can you get into trouble when trying to be helpful?!!

Works the same on an X.

If you are just lightly regenning the brake lights might not come on because the deceleration threshold has not been exceeded. This is equivalent to engine braking with an ICE car without hitting the brakes.

With heavier regen the brake lights will come on.

If you have good enough eyes you can see your brake lights work on the dash panel.

Reactions: jerseygirl18