TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Brake lites when using regenerative braking

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by jerseygirl18, Nov 3, 2019.

1. jerseygirl18

jerseygirl18 jersey girl

Haven't been able to discern what the brake lites look like when you are just slowing down to a light. I did read they appear as if one is braking..is that true??

2. Tonybvi

Tonybvi Member

My Model X shows the brake lights coming on in the dash panel display - little red lights show at the rear of the vehicle image and yes they do come on with regen braking.

3. Puddles

Puddles Member

The brake lights on your on-screen car do show what’s happening outside. I find the display to be excessively subtle though, and I have to watch it closely to see it. Unfortunately that is usually also when I am closing in on traffic and should have my eyes *outside* the car.

But there is a “deceleration “ threshold which triggers the brake lights to turn on when using regen. I forget exactly what the number is, something like 0.3 G.

Edit: just noticed you have an X and I’m assuming my 3 is similar... this has got me in trouble before...

• Funny x 1
  4. jerseygirl18

jerseygirl18 jersey girl

how can you get into trouble when trying to be helpful?!!

5. animorph

animorph Active Member

Works the same on an X.

If you are just lightly regenning the brake lights might not come on because the deceleration threshold has not been exceeded. This is equivalent to engine braking with an ICE car without hitting the brakes.

With heavier regen the brake lights will come on.

If you have good enough eyes you can see your brake lights work on the dash panel.

• Like x 1
  6. Puddles

Puddles Member

I know right?