Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Noise (anyone else hear this?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

My wife has a question about her Model X:

"I get a friction type of sound when I apply my brakes. It's not a squeak like ordinary brake pad issues. It's just a rubbing kind of sound. When it first started I had a big ice build up around the wheels so I thought it was just rubbing against the tires. Clearly that's not it now. It's only when I apply the brake to stop, not when I take my foot off the accelerator and the car slows. Does this sound familiar to anyone?"

You all know what she's talking about? Any solutions?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Sure it's not just corrosion that has built up because of moisture? With regen the brakes often don't get used much and the rotors can oxidize faster than regular car brakes.

Take it out and really apply the brakes hard without skidding a few times and it should clean up if it's light corrosion.

Corrosion on the brake rotors,(mostly the rear set) common occurrence this time of year. These cars are So quite especially at low speed that a person really notices it. It's not unique to Tesla's either. Any EV with decent regen braking will likely experience the same.....let's call it an EV quirk. I do try to use the brakes Hard on occasion this time of year just to give the rear calipers some exercise to keep them free.

Those using modulated braking (Chevy Volt and from what I understand also the Bolt is using the same system????) have had some real issues with frozen rear calipers which may end destroying the rear rotors.

Hey Everyone,

My wife has a question about her Model X:

"I get a friction type of sound when I apply my brakes. It's not a squeak like ordinary brake pad issues. It's just a rubbing kind of sound. When it first started I had a big ice build up around the wheels so I thought it was just rubbing against the tires. Clearly that's not it now. It's only when I apply the brake to stop, not when I take my foot off the accelerator and the car slows. Does this sound familiar to anyone?"

You all know what she's talking about? Any solutions?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Yes, have experienced something similar & mine is also more noticeable at very low speeds & in cold weather.