Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Noise in 2013 TESLA S

DarrellPryor

Dec 14, 2015
Canada
Hi guys! I have pre-owned 2013 Tesla S. I have been using it for the last 7 months. Everything has been fine till last 3 days. There is some sort of noise while braking. I am not able to identify the source of noise. I have given it at Service Plus Car Care Centre in Etobicoke. They are gonna get my brakes checked they told me. Has anyone had this issue before? :|

jdw

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2015
Vancouver
If it is a grinding noise at low speeds it is likely just oxidation on the rotors and a couple of hard stops will clean it up. You don't tend to use the brakes a lot with a Tesla and it can build up in rainy/snowy weather. Other than that, best to have Tesla check out brake wear and function.

Last edited:

TEUNTSLA

Oct 16, 2015
Airdrie, AB
i have a 2013 as well, what JDW said, brake a few times and it will be gone. given the time of year salt and muck will start to buildup on the breakes.

Jun 28, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
When I had the annual service performed on my 2013 P85 in Montreal, the replaced all the brakes. They said that in Canada, it was a recall that had not yet been done to my car. Check to see if the recall was done to your car. A complete new set (for free) may solve the issue.

SmartElectric

Jul 9, 2014
Toronto,Canada
When I had the annual service performed on my 2013 P85 in Montreal, the replaced all the brakes. They said that in Canada, it was a recall that had not yet been done to my car. Check to see if the recall was done to your car. A complete new set (for free) may solve the issue.

Same here, we bought our S 85 via CPO program and Tesla replaced the brakes as part of the reconditioning. Amazing service!

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

My understanding is that some of the non-sodium-chloride deicers used in Canada damage the brake pads that Tesla was using. As a result they are changing to a different pad composition, and replacing rotors in some cases.

When they replaced my brakes I noticed a significant improvement in brake performance (I had been pondering asking service about what I thought was gradual degradation in my brakes, but they beat me to it).

ohmman

Plaid-ish Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay, CA
I have brake squeal and/or grinding from time to time, especially after wet driving. My solution is to turn off regen and brake from speed on and off for a few miles. Once you've done it a bunch, things smooth back out and you can enable regen again.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC