TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Brake Noise in 2013 TESLA S

Discussion in 'Canada' started by DarrellPryor, Dec 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DarrellPryor

DarrellPryor New Member

Hi guys! I have pre-owned 2013 Tesla S. I have been using it for the last 7 months. Everything has been fine till last 3 days. There is some sort of noise while braking. I am not able to identify the source of noise. I have given it at Service Plus Car Care Centre in Etobicoke. They are gonna get my brakes checked they told me. Has anyone had this issue before? :|

2. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

#2 jdw, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    If it is a grinding noise at low speeds it is likely just oxidation on the rotors and a couple of hard stops will clean it up. You don't tend to use the brakes a lot with a Tesla and it can build up in rainy/snowy weather. Other than that, best to have Tesla check out brake wear and function.

3. kizagjo

kizagjo Member

My 2013 tesla breaks will 'squeak' when it gets a little wet. I was told that it's normal with high performance breaks.

4. TEUNTSLA

TEUNTSLA Member

i have a 2013 as well, what JDW said, brake a few times and it will be gone. given the time of year salt and muck will start to buildup on the breakes.

5. SluyterCapital

When I had the annual service performed on my 2013 P85 in Montreal, the replaced all the brakes. They said that in Canada, it was a recall that had not yet been done to my car. Check to see if the recall was done to your car. A complete new set (for free) may solve the issue.

6. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Same here, we bought our S 85 via CPO program and Tesla replaced the brakes as part of the reconditioning. Amazing service!

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

My understanding is that some of the non-sodium-chloride deicers used in Canada damage the brake pads that Tesla was using. As a result they are changing to a different pad composition, and replacing rotors in some cases.

When they replaced my brakes I noticed a significant improvement in brake performance (I had been pondering asking service about what I thought was gradual degradation in my brakes, but they beat me to it).

8. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I have brake squeal and/or grinding from time to time, especially after wet driving. My solution is to turn off regen and brake from speed on and off for a few miles. Once you've done it a bunch, things smooth back out and you can enable regen again.