Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake pad condition at 25k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a flat yesterday and took off the tire. I was surprised at the condition of the front brake pad....

Attachments

• 20201001_151618.jpg
    20201001_151618.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 20201001_151602.jpg
    20201001_151602.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 20201001_151542.jpg
    20201001_151542.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 101
  • 20201001_151523.jpg
    20201001_151523.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 108
well, a lot depends on how "heavy" you are on the pedals, and on how heavy is the car's weight.
For sure 25k mi is on the short side of a brake pad life, but not unheard of.
My M5 is no lightweight and I’m going on 70k miles, I agree that heavy braking would wear them out quicker but that’s not the proper way to stop the vehicle

although my pads benefit from the vehicle slowing down when I downshift. But still 25k is bad

My 1986 Lexus Hybrid had over 80K on it, and had the original pads, and it is only a hybrid. I never use the brakes in my Tesla. I am expecting at least 100K. Unless you are misjudging the regeneration, you never need brakes.

The Dodge Caravan I had the displeasure of owning for 4 years went through front pads every 30,000 km (19,000 miles). Undersized rotors, an aggressive idle speed which caused it to accelerate down hills, and I lived where there are plenty of hills...

@David99 did his brakes for the first time earlier this year I believe... what was the mileage again David?

I feel like autopilot relies on brakes more than my normal driving would. I did replace my front ones at about 70K miles - but I'm also the second owner.

Not sure that autopilot relies on brakes more than your normal driving. It may get closer to a car ahead than you might and then decelerate which feels like brake use but isn't . Generally just regenerative braking.

My M5 is no lightweight and I’m going on 70k miles, I agree that heavy braking would wear them out quicker but that’s not the proper way to stop the vehicle

although my pads benefit from the vehicle slowing down when I downshift. But still 25k is bad

Interesting. I always just coasted to a stop on my manuals. Always thought downshifting through the gears caused needless wear on transmissions vs cheaper cost of pad replacement

https://www.smartdrivetest.com/how-to-downshift-a-manual-car

Reactions: Electroman
The Dodge Caravan I had the displeasure of owning for 4 years went through front pads every 30,000 km (19,000 miles). Undersized rotors, an aggressive idle speed which caused it to accelerate down hills, and I lived where there are plenty of hills...

@David99 did his brakes for the first time earlier this year I believe... what was the mileage again David?

275k miles. I should have done them a little earlier, but 250k is realistic.

My pads had plenty of meat on them at 55k, but I replaced them and the rotors due to the pedal pulsing and generally poor braking performance. Note that brakes should still be serviced (cleaned/lubricated) regularly even if you're not replacing parts. This may be more important on a vehicle that sees a lot less brake use than most. My pads were mostly seized and not much fun to get out of the calipers. I believe my car was from the Chicago area (where I bought it from Tesla) so road salt may have been a contributing factor.