Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake pads fused to discs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know if anyone had this problem but it was a bugger. Model 3P purchased Aug. 19. Washed my car, put it in the garage, went on 10 days trip, got home, car would not move!

Two tow trucks, multiple calls to Tesla (service center is a mile from my house but they wouldn't send mobile service). Finally, second tow guy puts skates on my rear wheels as I tried to (slowly) reverse out of the garage - nothing happened. He took those off the back and put them on the front tires and as I slowly tried to reverse we hear a pop and it luckily comes unstuck.

It seems all four pads were fused to the discs. He towed it to Service Center. They cleaned discs and it was ready to go in an hour. Tesla guy says "Don't wash your car and go on a 10 day trip." Yeah, my fault.

It can happen with any car which uses the rear pads to act as a parking brake.

I have had problems like this with several BMWs over the years so with any manual car I just leave it in gear and don't use the handbrake any more for parking.

The trouble with the Model 3 is that it applies the parking brake itself and you can't disengage it when you're out of the car unless you use tow mode, but that's not going to be an option for a 10 day trip!

Just make sure the brakes are completely dry in future. Go for a drive before you park it up and use the brakes rather than regen so you get a little heat into them.

Reactions: Msjulie and scohtay
I have a profile I called "Car Wash"; no regen, no hold, no creep, and Chill Mode.

Because I wash my car weekly at night before going to bed, I use it for a quick drive around the block where I drive slowly while gently holding down the brake (and letting the car complain about both pedals being pressed). It's a procedure that takes 2 minutes and ensure that when I leave for work the next day I don't have to hear that nasty cracking sound caused by rusty brake discs getting stuck to the brake shoes.

I have a profile I called "Car Wash"; no regen, no hold, no creep, and Chill Mode.

Because I wash my car weekly at night before going to bed, I use it for a quick drive around the block where I drive slowly while gently holding down the brake (and letting the car complain about both pedals being pressed). It's a procedure that takes 2 minutes and ensure that when I leave for work the next day I don't have to hear that nasty cracking sound caused by rusty brake discs getting stuck to the brake shoes.

Does the car actually brake and apply power? I thought with that warning it would always ignore the accelerator input. Or is that only at high speed?

• Informative
Reactions: Ames
It can happen with any car which uses the rear pads to act as a parking brake.

I have had problems like this with several BMWs over the years so with any manual car I just leave it in gear and don't use the handbrake any more for parking.

The trouble with the Model 3 is that it applies the parking brake itself and you can't disengage it when you're out of the car unless you use tow mode, but that's not going to be an option for a 10 day trip!

Just make sure the brakes are completely dry in future. Go for a drive before you park it up and use the brakes rather than regen so you get a little heat into them.
What actually sticks? Steel discs, non-metallic pads, unless they are freezing, I don't understand how they stick.

A rust film forms on the bare steel disc..if you live near the sea on a windy spray-filled day you can see it form within an hour or so. Brown rust instead of shiny steel disc. The rust must act like a weak glue around the pads if they are pressed against the disc.