Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Pads/Rotors seized at 45k miles. Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this yet or needed to get their brakes changed at 45k miles.

Took my car in for a Brake Service maintenance and was advised that front pads/rotors were cracked and needed to be replaced.

The mileage is normal for brake swaps for any other car, but figured with the Re-gen braking Teslas likely wouldn't have needed it.

Also remembered Elon said "Tesla brake pads won't be needed to changed in the lifetime of a car". Should this have been a warranty item? I was charged $1100 for just the fronts. (My car is under warranty for reference)
Elon Musk on Twitter
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Brake usage is reduced for people that use regeneration. It's also a heavy car, so it's easy to use a lot of brake too.

But, I'm surprised that the "pads AND rotors were cracked". Did you see the parts? Did you have any symptoms?

Brake usage is reduced for people that use regeneration. It's also a heavy car, so it's easy to use a lot of brake too.

But, I'm surprised that the "pads AND rotors were cracked". Did you see the parts? Did you have any symptoms?

I'm coming from a Lexus RX so another truck (not as heavy for sure), my brake changes were around the 80k km mark. Being in colder climate, the brakes were still used every now and then vs Cali.

The only symptom I noticed was it required a little bit more force to brake than when i got the car. After they fixed it its strong again (i.e. light braking is enough).

Was just hoping to see how everyone else's experience is with Brakes, and if I should try to push back on the charge given Elon's tweet?

Due to "social distancing" measures, the car was strictly pick up/drop off so did not see the parts, but attached below is from the invoice.
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 11.04.19 PM.png

Seized pads are common in areas that use deicer. without the heat to melt away ice and evaporate the water the pad carriers can rust and stick.

Once a pad seizes it will do bad things.

I believe an annual cleaning is recommended for those areas.

Just a few thoughts...
Brakes are a highly consumable part and not normally covered by warranty. It will be difficult

Few ?s...
I assume you have regen set?
Do you typically apply the brakes to slow down or attempt to one pedal drive as much as possible?
Did you feel anything?
How was your energy usage?
By any chance do you brake with your right foot (maybe riding the brakes)?

Such wear might indicate stuck brakes or riding the brakes. Assuming you have regen enabled and drive normally, I do think that you have excessive wear. Cracked pads are usually heat related or just a bad mix. I would have loved to see the pads and rotors to check for any glazing.

Fighting for warranty coverage at 45k for brakes will be tough and wouldn’t be worth it for me. I would bring it up to check their thoughts on the matter.

"Brakes are a highly consumable part"

Not in EV's under normal circumstances.

Sold my 2014 S85 with 220000km (140k miles) with roughly 75% left on the rotors and pads. This is normal for people that drive "normally" with EV's.

I drive a lot of mountain passes and high speed highways (incl. German Autobahn), but re-gen in Tesla's is strong enough to avoid having to use the friction brakes most of the time (or lightly at the most).

Last edited:
Just a few thoughts...
Brakes are a highly consumable part and not normally covered by warranty. It will be difficult

Few ?s...
I assume you have regen set?
Do you typically apply the brakes to slow down or attempt to one pedal drive as much as possible?
Did you feel anything?
How was your energy usage?
By any chance do you brake with your right foot (maybe riding the brakes)?

Such wear might indicate stuck brakes or riding the brakes. Assuming you have regen enabled and drive normally, I do think that you have excessive wear. Cracked pads are usually heat related or just a bad mix. I would have loved to see the pads and rotors to check for any glazing.

Fighting for warranty coverage at 45k for brakes will be tough and wouldn’t be worth it for me. I would bring it up to check their thoughts on the matter.
One pedal as much as possible
Felt higher pressure required to apply brakes
In the summer around 220-230w/km mainly as a result of faster highway driving, in the winter close to 300
I drive with my right foot yes (Left handed driving in canada), do not ride the brakes

Had you done the recommended brake maintenance? (Essentially cleaning and lubricating every year in areas that use salt.)

This was the first time it was recommended so I went in for the brake maintenance.

"Brakes are a highly consumable part"

Not in EV's under normal circumstances.

Sold my 2014 S85 with 220000km (140k miles) with roughly 75% left on the rotors and pads. This is normal for people that drive "normally" with EV's.

I drive a lot of mountain passes and high speed highways (incl. German Autobahn), but re-gen in Tesla's is strong enough to avoid having to use the friction brakes most of the time (or lightly at the most).

This was my theory. Apparently its escalated to the regional manager who denied to do anything as well.

Hey guys just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this yet or needed to get their brakes changed at 45k miles.

Took my car in for a Brake Service maintenance and was advised that front pads/rotors were cracked and needed to be replaced.

The mileage is normal for brake swaps for any other car, but figured with the Re-gen braking Teslas likely wouldn't have needed it.

Also remembered Elon said "Tesla brake pads won't be needed to changed in the lifetime of a car". Should this have been a warranty item? I was charged $1100 for just the fronts. (My car is under warranty for reference)
Elon Musk on Twitter
View attachment 534652
Yup had exact same thing happen to me. Scheduled a break service this past December, was then told that my pads cracked (also the front) , paid around the same amount as well (Canadian dollars). My car was at 47,000 km. I was pretty surprised about it as well as I thought regen would extend the life of these pads. I live in a cold climate so I am sure that played a good part thanks to all the salt on the road.

Exactly the same issue with our 2017 X.

I live in Montreal, so we get long winters with profuse use of salt de-icing on all roads.

The ranger told me brake maintenance in similar conditions should be yearly (I seem to remember reading q2 years when I got the X, but may be wrong).

He could not dislodge some of the pins with his manual tools, I had to bring the vehicle to the service center for the work to be done.

I live in Montreal, so we get long winters with profuse use of salt de-icing on all roads.

The ranger told me brake maintenance in similar conditions should be yearly (I seem to remember reading q2 years when I got the X, but may be wrong).

He could not dislodge some of the pins with his manual tools, I had to bring the vehicle to the service center for the work to be done.
I also have 2017 MX and I too remember it being every 2 years. I guess it got changed to yearly instead. Lesson learned. Yes, I had the same issue, ranger couldn't get bolts out and was advised to go to SC. I can hear them banging on the bolt and a few minutes later the sales rep comes up to me and informs me the pads are cracked and need the pads and rotors replaced lol.

Reactions: Jeeps17
Yup had exact same thing happen to me. Scheduled a break service this past December, was then told that my pads cracked (also the front) , paid around the same amount as well (Canadian dollars). My car was at 47,000 km. I was pretty surprised about it as well as I thought regen would extend the life of these pads. I live in a cold climate so I am sure that played a good part thanks to all the salt on the road.

I also have 2017 MX and I too remember it being every 2 years. I guess it got changed to yearly instead. Lesson learned. Yes, I had the same issue, ranger couldn't get bolts out and was advised to go to SC. I can hear them banging on the bolt and a few minutes later the sales rep comes up to me and informs me the pads are cracked and need the pads and rotors replaced lol.

Surprising that everyone with the issue is driving a 2017 MX....even mine is an April 2017 build and I’m in the Toronto area.

No one managed to get Tesla to cover it under warranty? I ended up paying the bill, the service Center didn’t do anything, and even chat support just sent it back to service who said they won’t do anything.

They just said they gave me half off on the service since only one axel had service and the other was replaced but given all the fuss around no maintenance needed, would’ve expected better.

Customer service definitely went down the hill once the focus became profitability.

Reactions: Shaz
I am surprised the pads cracked, I've only ever encountered that after really high heat ie track use. Would be a first for me, even if they were dragging due to rust/environmental issues. Would be great to see some pics of these to know what's really going on here.