Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Pads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doug, did you add the sticky anti-squeal compound to the back of the pad? I did, I don't have any rattle. The pads should be stuck to the caliper / piston like the stocks which would prevent any vibration or rattles.

After running the Carbotech AX6's for a while, they're still working very well.

One minor nit has cropped up, though. They rattle a bit. They didn't do this at first, so I'm not sure why. Also they tend to rattle simply because the rotor is turning under them - at certain speeds they continuously rattle about 10X a second. Weird.

Doug, did you add the sticky anti-squeal compound to the back of the pad? I did, I don't have any rattle. The pads should be stuck to the caliper / piston like the stocks which would prevent any vibration or rattles.

Used the stuff that Tesla uses - copper anti-seize.

Could you give me a brand name? It would be easy enough to pop the pads out and redo that.

Thanks!

The copper anti-seize is for a different application, such as for the moving parts or anyplace you want things to slide and not freeze.

The gluey stuff that makes the back of the pads sticky to the caliper and piston is called brake quiet. I used the CRC brand thats listed below:
Amazon.com: CRC Industries 05017 Disc Brake Quiet - 9 Wt Oz.: Automotive

Don't apply this to any parts that move. I applied it to both the caliper side and the pad side.

I use the same product that wiztecy listed. However I only spray it on the back of the pads, let it set up for 10 mins, and then install them. I've never used it on the caliper as I'd be afraid of gumming up the piston. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by caliper side?

Correct, watch out not to gum up the piston on the caliper. I made sure that it didn't get down into the piston area, but rather only on the contact area where the pad rests. You'd be fine if you applied it only on the back / metal side of the pads. I wanted to make sure there was extra brake quiet applied as an extra safeguard against squeals.

I've never used it on the caliper as I'd be afraid of gumming up the piston. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by caliper side?

Brake bias

I am considering swapping from stock. One thing I have noticed is that I seem to have just as much (if not more) brake dust in the rear. I suspect Tesla might have added too much rear bias since all the weight is back there, so the fronts don't bite enough. Has anyone explored if there is a brake bias valve that could/should be removed or changed? Or is everyone getting plenty of bite with new pads? Since I rarely use the brakes, when I need to stop, I NEED TO STOP. NOW. I don't want to deal with any warm-up issues, my pads are likely always stone cold. Btw, the stock pads held up great at a track event last summer. Perhaps the stock pads are too biased for performance and don't work well cold? (I have a 2.5)

Anyone else looked at brake bias?

I am considering swapping from stock. One thing I have noticed is that I seem to have just as much (if not more) brake dust in the rear. I suspect Tesla might have added too much rear bias since all the weight is back there, so the fronts don't bite enough. Has anyone explored if there is a brake bias valve that could/should be removed or changed? Or is everyone getting plenty of bite with new pads? Since I rarely use the brakes, when I need to stop, I NEED TO STOP. NOW. I don't want to deal with any warm-up issues, my pads are likely always stone cold. Btw, the stock pads held up great at a track event last summer. Perhaps the stock pads are too biased for performance and don't work well cold? (I have a 2.5)

Anyone else looked at brake bias?
I'll second Doug and say just swap the pads to the Carbotechs. They WORK. If the dust bothers you get the 1521 compound. They work perfectly for daily driving - that's what I'm using. If you do a track event you can swap the Lotus pads back in. If you do a number of track events such that the swapping is too time-consuming then get the AX6's but they do dust and squeal like the stock pads (but they work MUCH better when cold).

I'll second Doug and say just swap the pads to the Carbotechs. They WORK. If the dust bothers you get the 1521 compound. They work perfectly for daily driving - that's what I'm using. If you do a track event you can swap the Lotus pads back in. If you do a number of track events such that the swapping is too time-consuming then get the AX6's but they do dust and squeal like the stock pads (but they work MUCH better when cold).

For me, they squeal a lot LESS than the stock pads.

I'm running the AX6's and get NO squeals and very little dust (Appears to me at least 60% less than the stocks). Very happy with the pads and customer support of Carbotech.

I'm also using the Carbotech AX6's with far better results than stock pads. Stronger braking, less dust, less squeal, clears the rust off the rotors without loading up like the stock pads did. I've been waiting to post in here because I wanted to try them out in the cold. Two nights ago it was -9 deg F (-23C) and they were very strong - not as good as when it's warm but much stronger than the stock pads at any temperature. I didn't do anything to warm them up.

I don't think there is too much rear bias at all. I payed some attention to this after changing pads but concluded it was adjusted properly.

I'm also using the Carbotech AX6's with far better results than stock pads. Stronger braking, less dust, less squeal, clears the rust off the rotors without loading up like the stock pads did. I've been waiting to post in here because I wanted to try them out in the cold. Two nights ago it was -9 deg F (-23C) and they were very strong - not as good as when it's warm but much stronger than the stock pads at any temperature. I didn't do anything to warm them up.

I don't think there is too much rear bias at all. I payed some attention to this after changing pads but concluded it was adjusted properly.

Thanks! Off to order the pads...

Thanks to those that pioneered this subject. I just decided to do this at my Roadster's third annual service. I am letting Tesla Vancouver handle it, which they will do as long as I order the pads myself and have them drop shipped. I called Carbotech directly (877-899-5024) as others had recommended and found them exceptionally efficient and friendly. They were even savvy about sending them to Canada via postal service vs. UPS to save the massive brokerage charges. I wish other US vendors would get a clue about that!

I am going for AX6 compound as others have heartily recommended. I cannot wait to be able to actually stop my Roadster!

Since replacing my stock pads with Carbotech AX6 I've had a little bit of rattling from the front brakes.

I just found this: Anti Rattle Brakepad Buffers (Elise, Exige, 340R, VX220 all models) [ARBB] - 2.50 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise

If you compare most high performance brake pads to original pads, you will find the backplate of the pads to be smaller on the high performance items. The reason for this is because high performance pads are designed to be used at extreme temperatures. The backplate of these pads expands further then what you'd expect with pads for road use.

Besides that.. as the Elise or Exige is a relatively light weight car, the temperatures of these pads normally don't go up as far as when being used on heavy saloon cars. The backplates won't expand that much and you might experience an annoying rattle from the front brakes while driving your car.

Lotus has anticipated on the above and stuck small patches of rubber inside the front brake calipers. This rubber tends to wear over time, or even completely disappears.

Our adhesive anti rattle brakepad buffers are a high grade, adhesive backed material which simply needs to be stuck in the same location as the original buffers. They're very easy to install, especially when you're replacing the brakepads.

I have some on order and will report back on how well they work.

Since replacing my stock pads with Carbotech AX6 I've had a little bit of rattling from the front brakes.

Doug, did you apply the sticky spray behind the pads before you installed them? Its the same stuff Tesla used at the factory, its the sticky goop that sticks the pads back to the caliper face and the piston for the opposite pad. This should stop any of your rattling issues since the pad shouldn't shake at that point

Doug, did you apply the sticky spray behind the pads before you installed them? Its the same stuff Tesla used at the factory, its the sticky goop that sticks the pads back to the caliper face and the piston for the opposite pad. This should stop any of your rattling issues since the pad shouldn't shake at that point

I've not been able to find some. Anyone know of a source in Canada?