Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Pads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've not been able to find some. Anyone know of a source in Canada?

Are you able to get it through Amazon and have it shipped to Canada? Here's the link:

Amazon.com: CRC Industries 05017 Disc Brake Quiet - 9 Wt Oz.: Automotive

If there's any issue ordering it I can order it here locally and ship it out to you.

By the way I'm looking at the review and a person gave it a one star saying the the spray is not as good as the gel formula. The Gel Formula appears to be better from the higher reviews. I haven't tried it but will next time:

Amazon.com: CRC Disc Brake Quiet 05016, 4 Fl Oz: Automotive

A true comparison between regular pads and CarboTechs....

So my Roadster's @ Menlo Park getting serviced and Tesla was kind enough after some good clear communication exchanges reserved me Roadster #924, a silver 2.0 with a pure black interior which is a pure pristine beauty with only 4.5k+ miles. I totally thank Tesla for keeping the driving experience going for sure...

One thing I have to say after having the CarboTech brakes installed is to give yourself plenty of space for braking if you borrow, test drive, or plan to drive another Roadster without the CT pads. When I dropped off my 1.5 I took the coast HWY 1 up north from Santa Cruz, I cut over at Woodside road which is known for its tight twisties. I was hammering and pushing my Roadster hard and late braking into pin-cornered turns. The brakes combined with the native regenerative braking worked together like a choreographed duet. Never once did I feel any fade or fear I couldn't stop. I even had to make a fast pass and hard brake into a tight corner for a pickup that was lanking around..., everything worked well together even the suspension to some part, but an adjustable would be key. Then jumping into a Roadster with stock Brembo's was night and day... actually dangerous. You can't do fast sprints and hard stops... its just does not feel safe anymore... Even in regular stop and go traffic I knew the stock Roadster would fade on me when I really needed to stop.

Can't wait to get my stopping shoes back, definite confidence there where its needed. Also wild comparing the 1.5 vs. the 2.0, its a fun little analysis. The seats are definitely higher in the 2.0. For me it doesn't fit as comfortable since I'm 6.0' tall. However the seats definitely grip your body more which can be good for sporting around and cornering but I don't know if I'd like that for longer drives as compared to the looser feel of the 1.5. I put in a CG seat belt tensioner which cinches me down fine for the turns (CG-Lock) The 2.0 higher seats however do make it easier to enter and exit the Roadster cockpit. I didn't feel that drop I usually do when getting in my 1.5 where I brace the tub firmly each time. The suspension on the 2.0 feels more cushy or floaty than my 1.5 (that could be just me and the higher vantage point from the seating), as for torque, there also seems like there's subtle power range differences.... Would like to look at graphs on that. There are just certain tourqe / speed ranges that one seems more sprintyer than the other and it flip flops back. The 2.0 is way quieter while driving, the 1.5 has a turbo motor wine. When sitting... the 1.5 has a more tolerable water pump tone than the 2.0... the 2.0 sounds higher pitched.... It sounds as if its running at a higher RPM which may circulate the water faster. Could also be a different mfg of the pump.... but sound more like faster revolutions.

But back to the braking... I'd suggest Tesla to actually switch to CarboTech's in their loaners and anyone who loves their Tesla. Also it would be nice to see if CarboTech can make a pad for the Model-S and X down the road. Don't know if the Model-S's braking can be improved upon... have to take one out and push it one of these days to feel it out. But ultimately CT Pads are a definitely good product that works perfectly with the Roadster. One thing for sure is that Braking can never be overrated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabner
I believe Menlo is shutting down in a few days.

Best bet is to ask. They might be willing to change the pads for you, but Tesla is fussy about non-OEM equipment.

If not then go to a reputable shop. Somewhere you'd take a Lotus (since the brakes are almost identical). And stand there and watch them to make sure they lift the car properly.

And if you or someone puts the pads on make sure they put the anti-vibration spray on the backs of the pads (not on the braking surface of the pad ;) or else they'll rattle on you. The OEMs had this when they were installed. Also I believe someone in the forum had Tesla install the CarboTechs for them so you can definitively ask them.

Believe MenloPark still has some time before they move... might be 1 month. But if you make an appointment you may get booked up in Burlingame.

I thought someone recently posted that Tesla was no longer installing non-OEM stuff for people but that is from my sometimes fuzzy memory. Can definitely ask them.

But like Doug said, any Lotus mechanic can do it as the brakes are the same as on the Elise.

It's not that hard to do. Look it up on the Lotus forums - the procedure is identical.

Tip: I couldn't find the tool for retracting the rear calipers at the local auto parts stores. Ended up using an ancient old big pair of needle-nose pliers. Worked like a charm.

Thanks! Off to order the pads...

OK, It has been a few (several) months since I got the pads and put them on the car. I did add a dab of brake grease (instead of anti-squeal goo) when installing (keeping it off the pads). Absolutely no squealing, and they work MUCH MUCH MUCH better than stock pads. Did I say they work much better? I can actually stop now. The front end of the car will actually dive down slightly under medium braking. Nice. I feel MUCH safer and more in control. I have no idea why Tesla provides such poor pads. The AX6s work incredibly well for me, and I am 99% street driving. I live in northern Calif - temps rarely drop below freezing - but they have been working incredibly well for many months. I can highly recommend this "upgrade".

BTW - Don't forget to "bed" the pads. This is the part that is the most fun! Note: I did NOT turn my rotors, just re-bedded with original rotors and new AX6 pads. I did clean the rotors with brake clean before putting new pads on them. No issues with stopping after several months. Still as grippy as ever.

Welcome to the AX6 club!

To answer your question, AFAIK the stock pads are simply the ones that Lotus uses.

Tesla actually recommends you replace your rotors if you change pads. It is of course absolute nonsense. All you need to do is bed them properly. This removes the old pad material from the rotors, conforms the pads to the rotor's shape (they tend to develop a bit of a wedge - apparently the reason why Tesla recommends replacement), and deposits the new pad material on the rotors.

I did add a dab of brake grease (instead of anti-squeal goo) when installing (keeping it off the pads). Absolutely no squealing, and they work MUCH MUCH MUCH better than stock pads.

Just be aware that another reason for the anti-squeal goo is to keep the pads from rattling against your caliper/rotor. So if you start to hear some odd noises coming from your brake area, its most likely the pads moving around.

Hopefully we'll start seeing less of those ugly Roadster front end collisions as this brake upgrade works its way through the Roadster community.

Just be aware that another reason for the anti-squeal goo is to keep the pads from rattling against your caliper/rotor. So if you start to hear some odd noises coming from your brake area, its most likely the pads moving.

I had Carbotech AX6 installed, and while i LOVE the performance, i have developed the dread rattle. Supposedly goo was used. Is there a specific solution that people have found effective on these pads/calipers? Brand of goo? On other forums (e.g. Lotus) there is discussion about changing out the springs or using some backing material made by 3M. Any authoritative opinions on these alternatives? I am appreciative of any input at this point.

I had Carbotech AX6 installed, and while i LOVE the performance, i have developed the dread rattle. Supposedly goo was used. Is there a specific solution that people have found effective on these pads/calipers? Brand of goo? On other forums (e.g. Lotus) there is discussion about changing out the springs or using some backing material made by 3M. Any authoritative opinions on these alternatives? I am appreciative of any input at this point.

Try using this stuff, its way better than the spray which I used. I coated the heck out of mine so no rattle... I bought this one just in case after the fact:
Amazon.com: CRC Disc Brake Quiet 05016, 4 Fl Oz: Automotive

I think Doug used the backing material, so he may chime in on that one.

Apparently Lotus puts some kind of flexible buffer pads on the back of the pads. In heavy use on the track the pads expand so Lotus leaves a little extra space, which without the buffers results in the dread rattle.

I bought some online, but I haven't tried them yet. I will install them next time I swap wheels.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of brake pads... I took my Roadster to the track yesterday. (See Roadster at Calabogie Motorsports)

I found the AX6 worked decently, especially once they warmed up a bit. However the stopping power was not on a par with my former S2000, which had "real" track pads, namely Hawk DTC60 in front and Hawk HP+ on rear.

(The S2000 blew its engine at autocross, of all things, on Sunday and I sold it to a Honda tech in the club who plans to rebuild it. Which is why the Roadster went to the track!)

Apparently Lotus puts some kind of flexible buffer pads on the back of the pads. In heavy use on the track the pads expand so Lotus leaves a little extra space, which without the buffers results in the dread rattle.

I bought some online, but I haven't tried them yet. I will install them next time I swap wheels.

Could you please share where you ordered the backing pads?

Thanks! V