Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Pads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've ordered a set of the AX6's and am having them installed when they arrive. I've read all of the comments about what to use to make sure they don't squeak or rattle but am confused on exactly what I should have them use. Just use the anti-rattle paste? Use "lotus brake pad stickers"? Use anti-rattle spacers? What seems to work best?

I've ordered a set of the AX6's and am having them installed when they arrive. I've read all of the comments about what to use to make sure they don't squeak or rattle but am confused on exactly what I should have them use. Just use the anti-rattle paste? Use "lotus brake pad stickers"? Use anti-rattle spacers? What seems to work best?
I used this stuff:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/CRC-Disc-brake-quiet/_/N-268d?itemIdentifier=555995_0_0_
and not a single rattle or squeal after almost 2 years. Just make sure you follow the instructions. Spray the back of the pads and let them set for a few minutes (however long it says) and then install. If you don't let is set up the product will be squeezed out and won't work. No shims or anything required.

I used this stuff:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/CRC-Disc-brake-quiet/_/N-268d?itemIdentifier=555995_0_0_
and not a single rattle or squeal after almost 2 years. Just make sure you follow the instructions. Spray the back of the pads and let them set for a few minutes (however long it says) and then install. If you don't let is set up the product will be squeezed out and won't work. No shims or anything required.

I used first the CRC spray Strider used above and a brake pad rattle after 6 months of use (one pad broke free of the bond). I then used the non-spray which allows a heavier application on the back of the pads and had no rattles. I posted pics of both the spray and non-spray application in this thread, just browse or do a search and you'll come across the pics/documentation.

Non-Spray Brake Quiet:
Amazon.com: CRC Disc Brake Quiet 05016, 4 Fl Oz: Automotive

The spray version looks like what OEM had used. Good to hear about the brake pad stickies work very well too.

As for testing the AX6's vs the Bobcats, I agree there's variance. Weight of the driver, rotor condition, tire compound/wear, and suspension setup as well as driver reaction times.

Either way, both pads are giving positive results and incredible stopping power over stocks. That alone should prevent many front end collisions of the Roadster.

I finally got around to installing my Carbotech AX6 pads. I cannot agree more with everyone's assessment. They make a world of difference! I wonder why Tesla doesn't just switch to these. I'm much more confident in the Roadster braking, now.

Installed the AX6 pads on my Roadster 2.5 before the Easter holiday. Got to break them in driving from Geneva to Ascona, Switzerland over the Simplon pass and down Crevadossola. These pads are simply amazing! And don't make noise at all. I'm truly pleased! Thanks for all the tips here guys.

Who did you guys use to install the non-Tesla brake pads? I have the Carbotech pads sitting in a box and my Roadster scheduled to get its annual service on Monday, but I don't think Tesla will install them while they have the car. We don't have a Lotus dealer in town. Who did you trust to do the install?

thanks
michael

Who did you guys use to install the non-Tesla brake pads? I have the Carbotech pads sitting in a box and my Roadster scheduled to get its annual service on Monday, but I don't think Tesla will install them while they have the car. We don't have a Lotus dealer in town. Who did you trust to do the install?

thanks
michael

My local Tesla SC put on my last set of Carbotech pads.

Well, Tesla refused to put the Carbotech pads on my car, even after repeated requests and an email with a Hold Harmless statement. The good news is that they carefully flushed the lines and adjusted the brakes and they are the best they have been since I got the car. They were horribly squishy before. The Tech took me through the procedure for changing the pads in case I wanted to do it, and his steps were identical to the youtube video (not surprising).

I've found that the Roadster brake fluid gets contaminated surprisingly quickly. On my second annual I made the tech flush the fluid. He said it wasn't needed until 4 years, then I pointed out the coca-cola colored brake fluid in the reservoir, and he immediately agreed to flush it. Brakes were a LOT better after that. But the Carbotechs made them good.

Not hard to put the Carbotechs on yourself. Or take it to a garage that you TRUST, and stand there and make sure they jack up the car properly.

The Tech took me through the procedure for changing the pads in case I wanted to do it, and his steps were identical to the youtube video (not surprising).
Is there a video on YouTube that shows how to change the brake pads on the Roadster? Or are you referring to a video about changing brake pads in general, and no on a specific car?
I searched YouTube for "Tesla roadster brake pads" but didn't find anything specific to the Roadster.
I am interested in the Carobtech pads, but am not much of a mechanic and reluctant to mess with the brakes myself. Of course I could take the car to a shop and have it done. I know that a number of people here have changed the pads themselves, and that some members like the now departed (meaning no longer participating on TMC, not deceased!) @wiztecy have called the stock pads "dangerous".
I think the brakes on my Roadster feel pretty good, and the car only has 18K miles so they certainly had a lot of life left in them. But if the brakes can be significantly improved, I'm interested.