Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Pedal Noise on Hold Mode (Video Included)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2016 Model X P90DL with 26,000 miles recently started making a groaning or creaking noise after releasing the brake pedal at a stop. The noise occurs when hold mode engages and after I release my foot from the brake pedal. I've searched a few threads, but haven't found anything that directly correlates to this problem. The closest I found, after researching how hold mode works, was a thread about the abs hydraulic unit failing or having air. I'm not sure this is the case, as the car brakes fine and has a firm pedal feel.

I have an appointment scheduled with Tesla Service in January, but the advisor indicates on the estimate they think the car only needs a brake fluid bleed and fill. I have included a video of the noise. Is this noise typical of the brake calipers needing cleaning and lubricating, old brake fluid (6 years), or something more involved?

Video:

Thanks for looking

Our 2016 Model X P90DL with 26,000 miles recently started making a groaning or creaking noise after releasing the brake pedal at a stop. The noise occurs when hold mode engages and after I release my foot from the brake pedal. I've searched a few threads, but haven't found anything that directly correlates to this problem. The closest I found, after researching how hold mode works, was a thread about the abs hydraulic unit failing or having air. I'm not sure this is the case, as the car brakes fine and has a firm pedal feel.

I have an appointment scheduled with Tesla Service in January, but the advisor indicates on the estimate they think the car only needs a brake fluid bleed and fill. I have included a video of the noise. Is this noise typical of the brake calipers needing cleaning and lubricating, old brake fluid (6 years), or something more involved?

Video:

Thanks for looking

Were you on a hill or flat? Tesla is just throwing things out there, brake fluid is not going to cause groaning or creaking but it will cause brake failures or bad pedal feel. That being said, 6 years is a long time. Flush the fluid and bleed the brakes. Don't have Tesla do it unless you want to pay a premium for a simple job.

Nice. Did they do anything else? There is also a known problem with steering knuckle ball joints that makes them creak on moving a little (often happens also when you start moving if you start having this.). They seem to just check and lube if they don’t have a complaint or don’t notice the noise. I told mobile service I heard creaking on braking and sometimes initial turning. They replaced both ball joints under warranty.