Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake pedal play / rattle when lifting off pedal...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, in for service today when Tesla read this forum and proactively called me to schedule the visit. Technician duplicated the problem and disassembled the brake pedal and pivot. He said the noise comes from slop between the pin and pedal assembly. He also said it's the same on almost every car and is starting to hear more complaints. Nothing was worn or unsafe but not up to high end buyers expectations.

He put some thick grease on it and reassembled. He will email the factory pictures he took and opened a problem case. Told me the grease would at best be temporary and will talk more with engineering.

So yes we awe listened to when we bring issues like this. Fortunately the Portland SC people have all been attentive and thorough with my issues; never blew it off but wrote careful notes and opened case files for factory review.

I have this issue as well from the beginning. I had it mentioned to Portland SC few times but they did not have a solution. Glad that they opened a case on this. For me, this issue is quiet annoying and I can hear it pretty loudly while driving. I hope they find a solution soon. I am in for SC visit again, will mention this again.

Brake pedal rattle using adaptive cruise control

Model S 60, about 3-1/2 months old. I'm seeing posts regarding brake pedal rattles when lifting foot off brake, but do any of you experience a brake pedal rattle when you're using adaptive cruise control and the car is decelerating quickly?

I have this annoying rattle when lifting my foot off the brake and thought it was just me. Will need to have SvC take a look next time it's information the shop. Just got it out last week for Drive unit replacement (x2). Have not heard this rattle using TACC

I am having this very issue looked at by my service center in about 3 weeks. So glad to see that I just wasn't crazy. The go pedal is rock solid and noise free. The brake pedal is really loud and loose. It's most apparent when sitting at a stop sign or traffic light on an incline that isn't steep enough for hill stop to kick in and you have to move quickly from brake to go pedals or your car WILL roll.

Model S 60, about 3-1/2 months old. I'm seeing posts regarding brake pedal rattles when lifting foot off brake, but do any of you experience a brake pedal rattle when you're using adaptive cruise control and the car is decelerating quickly?

My car does this once in a while. I've only ever heard it in the scenario you describe -- heavy braking using TACC. I just experienced it again yesterday.

My car does this once in a while. I've only ever heard it in the scenario you describe -- heavy braking using TACC. I just experienced it again yesterday.

My local service guy just called to add this to my upcoming service appointment. About 90 minutes from the time I posted. I think that might be a more effective way to get things scheduled than actually calling the service center and leaving a message. :biggrin:

Impressive bit of pro-active customer service, that.

On my 70D it happens mostly when I'm lifting my foot off the brake, but I do believe I've heard it when I'm using adaptive cruise control.

It just way louder than it should be. In my case it's not the most annoying thing, but it is something that gives me concern.

By far the most annoying thing is road noise, but thankfully the car is so fun to drive that I'll probably need to replace the tires within a year and half. I've never owned a car that I put 4K miles on in less than 2 months. Heck I've put so many miles on it that I started testing the odometer to make sure it was accurate because I couldn't believe it.

The second most annoying thing is squeaks and rattles from the dash/screen, but they're too hard to reproduce to bring it in.

Note to Tesla if you're listening: Please don't call. Just add it to the list of things to check the next time I bring it in.

I had this same noise for, maybe a year on my 2013 P85+. Noticeable play from resting position, upwards - leads to the rattle/clunk when letting off the brake fast.

I brought this up to my SC before, but they said that all the other cars they looked at had the same play so there was nothing they could do about it. Maybe time for a revisit.

Has anyone else had this successfully resolved? (more than just the temp grease fix)

My early 2013 (sn: 04531) makes the same sound/ rattle/ clunk when releasing the brake quickly. I think my SC told me it was normal. I was thinking I'd just try to glue a little piece of rubber insulation material onto the stop. I need to get down there and take a close look to see if that's a bad idea.

My SC (PDX) also tried all the other cars in the shop and said they were the same, all had the "clonk" on letting off the brake quickly...I've heard one person surmise that the looser pedal had to do with the new brake unit for autopilot control for braking...

I think I've had the same thing since day one. Often times when I left off the brake pedal it's like it "bangs" against a stop or something. Way too much play up top. I haven't played with TACC much yet so can't say if it happens there as well.

My SC (PDX) also tried all the other cars in the shop and said they were the same, all had the "clonk" on letting off the brake quickly...I've heard one person surmise that the looser pedal had to do with the new brake unit for autopilot control for braking...

No, the brake pedal issue has been there since the 2012 cars, way before Autopilot. I'm surprised Tesla QC hadn't picked up on it until now. It's pretty obvious when you slip your foot off the brake pedal. It's the sort of thing you'd expect in an economy car, but not in a $70-$100K sedan. The added irony is that the braking system is made by Brembo, itself a luxury-performance brand. The brake pedal assembly may not be from Brembo, however.

Same here. Noticed it, but not enough of an annoyance to mention it.

So my Service Center called me because Tesla had seen this. (I'm going in for my "annual" in a couple of days). I told the technician that really all I was doing here was saying "yep, I've seen that too" but it's not really something I'm worried about. Nice of them to follow up with me, though.

No, the brake pedal issue has been there since the 2012 cars, way before Autopilot. I'm surprised Tesla QC hadn't picked up on it until now. It's pretty obvious when you slip your foot off the brake pedal. It's the sort of thing you'd expect in an economy car, but not in a $70-$100K sedan. The added irony is that the braking system is made by Brembo, itself a luxury-performance brand. The brake pedal assembly may not be from Brembo, however.

I have a three-month-old 85D. I'm now observing the "rattling brake pedal" issue, although I didn't notice it until the last few weeks. Are cars with this problem made this way from day one (in which case I'm apparently not very observant), or can it develop over time?