Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake pedal play / rattle when lifting off pedal...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never heard this sound while driving around as I rarely, if ever, sharply brake and then release the pedal. However, now that I use TACC + Auto-steer, I find that in stop-and-go traffic, the brake releases quite quickly as the traffic momentarily slows down and then picks up. This leaves me listening to the brake pedal bouncing/rattling as it is sharply let go. Quite annoying but one I can live with given all the other features I'm getting. If I remember, I'll bring this to service's attention when I take the car in for a regular maintenance.

That I have noticed. Doesn't bother me that much. What I'm talking about is a squeaky sound as I apply or release the breaks. Like two pieces of rubber rubbing against one another. That's what I'm trying to diagnose if anyone else has the same.

Anyone ever hear more information from Tesla on this? I'm at my service center today and the service writer said he never heard of this and doesn't know of any known issues or fixes.

When I took my car in for this issue (among others), my service advisor said that there was some play and that engineering was working on a new part to minimize the rattling sound. He also said that my car wasn't any worse off than a handful of other cars they tested. (Looking back on that, his second comment is completely irrelevent and I should have said so at the time.) I plan to bring this up again next time I take the car in, whenever that happens to be.

Reviving an old issue thread.

Just picked up my 2013 CPO, and, man the brake pedal is loud. It rattles at the top like it's loose or something, and it creaks when I press it. I have an SC appointment early next year, and I will mention it then, I just wondered if there is a fix.

Just picked up my 2013 CPO, and, man the brake pedal is loud. It rattles at the top like it's loose or something, and it creaks when I press it. I have an SC appointment early next year, and I will mention it then, I just wondered if there is a fix.

My Feb 2103 build car does this as well. A kind of creak/groan sometimes when you press the brake and a bit of a "rattle"-like issue as well. Never bothered me enough to do anything about, however.

Have the same issue, but it has been lower on my list of items to look at. Even though I am CPO - 2013 - and have plenty of warranty, I often find I am better at fixing this kind of stuff than shops are. Part of that is simply because I am willing to spend inordinate amounts of time on it...and I am the one with the greatest vested interest in resolving it.

The service center fixed my rattle. I never had it happen again after they fixed it.

Do you happen to know what they did? I reached up underneath there (didn't look as I only hasd a second and it was 20 degreess out) and it feels like there is simply a metal brake pedal pin and cotter pin similar to this generic pic in there:

451.jpg

It seemed to have a ton of slop as I wiggled the pedal. Normally, I would expect to see a plastic bushing in there like these generic examples:

mDWq9W-daGgxPnhucKkNpRA.jpg

The bushing go in like this Honda example (2 parts: 47101B):

brake%20pedal.GIF

Sometimes the play is side to side and a thin wave washer is needed (not sure that is the case here).

Last edited:
Do you happen to know what they did? I reached up underneath there (didn't look as I only hasd a second and it was 20 degreess out) and it feels like there is simply a metal brake pedal pin and cotter pin similar to this generic pic in there:
Sometimes the play is side to side and a thin wave washer is needed (not sure that is the case here).

That totally makes sense. I wasn't curious enough to check it out. Just glad they fixed it.

When I took mine in, the service center said that there was a service bulletin to replace the brake fluid and flush the system. That helped a little, but not a lot. I ended up trading it before I could do anything further about it. My "new" CPO 2014 does not have this issue.

My Feb 2103 build car does this as well. A kind of creak/groan sometimes when you press the brake and a bit of a "rattle"-like issue as well. Never bothered me enough to do anything about, however.

My (former) Feb 2013 build P85 had a related issue. When slipping my foot off the pedal, allowing it to spring back to its rest position, it made the sound of a plastic hammer striking and bouncing on an anvil. On the 2016 cars, Tesla has eliminated this problem (with a proper rubber bumper) as well as a myriad of other peccadilloes found on the early production vehicles. They're learning.

Dropped mine off at the SC today for this issue. Tech rode with me to hear the creak noise and lift off rattle. He wasn't sure if that was normal behavior for the classic cars tho (which made me roll my eyes a bit - I have never owned a car whose brake pedal makes that much noise - I have a hard time believing its normal).

I ended up in a slightly-older-than-mine classic S85 loaner, which had a much better brake pedal feel compared to mine. It didn't creak, and it felt "tighter" if that makes sense. Some amount of noise on lift-off, but not as bad as my P85. So I let the service advisor know it WAS actually different from my car.

Hopefully they will be able to find something to fix.

Got mine back from the SC today. They ended up applying some sort of silicon lubrication to the brake pedal mechanism to eliminate my creak noise. Lift off rattle is still there, which was less bothersome than the creak noise. Hopefully the fix will last.

I have the same issue on my 14 MS. I didn't really notice it until my wife pointed it out a couple of days ago. It almost sounds as if something is loose on the brake housing. We don't have this issue on either of our non-luxury vehicles, which makes it even worse for the MS.

I did briefly reach up under there and wiggle the little cotter pin on min. I noticed when I slid it left or right it was much tighter so to it could just be wear on the center of the pin. Having said that, I couldn't tell if that was really the issue or the bumper that Todd mentions above. It is too tight to see under there w/o removing some panels and it hasn't gotten to the top of my annoyance list as of yet to botehr investigating further...

Just had the pin replaced in mine also a 2015 (which I hoped they would cover under goodwill since I have 51k miles and just got the car used a month ago)

It definitely makes a difference. when I asked at the SC the technician nodded that there was a new part and seemed to acknowledge what I said.
That being said, it still clunks if I leave go, but much closer to the loaner 75D I had. Not as loud and not as much reverberation. I would say it’s worth the upgrade.

Cost me $13 for the part and $64 for labor. Errr.