Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Regeneration - Low To Non-Existent (Aussie Site - Discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
🎶 have you lost that braking feeling 🎶

- Does your accelerator feel soft/dead when lifting your foot off.. way less aggressive braking than before
- Do you need to use the brake peddle more and more
- Has your average energy usage increased
- Have you raised concerns/lodged service request with Tesla and been told that your vehicle is normal..that they have check it remotely
- Are you led to believe that nothing has changed, but you know it has
- Are you starting to question your sanity.. you know what you had, and now it is gone.. but you can’t quantify it
- Has this change occurred without warning.. sometime around sept/oct this year
- Do you feel you have lost the one peddle feeling

If anything above, is anything you can relate to… I would love to hear from you…
I am starting to think I am losing my mind.. because my brakes under regen are nearly useless, have to use the brake peddle all the time.. never did before.. always in hold mode.. I feel I have lost my best friend.. the love of my life.. the reason for living.. 😄

Reactions: Gayle S and mike_j
Yes, legacy S. Has one profile set to no-regen. Despite setting my (separate) profile to maximum regen, the regen is basically non-existent.

Completely unrelated scenario:- My Model Y had a flat tyre. The roadside assist installed a different size model 3 tyre (yes, separate issue, but survivable for a day or two). Whilst I had this tyre on, there were no error messages, but zero regen. As soon as the original tyre was repaired and reinstalled, regen returned.

Reactions: CareyP
No, descended the Clyde Mountain yesterday with no brake pedal required.
Very Interesting - I don’t know the road but I will look it up😊 but it sounds aggressive/demanding.

I goofed and should have included my model and year M3LR 2021. Just for comparison are you running a model 3.

I can’t even run along a straight road or a steep decline without using the foot brake.

Thank for the response.

Yes, legacy S. Has one profile set to no-regen. Despite setting my (separate) profile to maximum regen, the regen is basically non-existent.

Completely unrelated scenario:- My Model Y had a flat tyre. The roadside assist installed a different size model 3 tyre (yes, separate issue, but survivable for a day or two). Whilst I had this tyre on, there were no error messages, but zero regen. As soon as the original tyre was repaired and reinstalled, regen returned.
I have heard that even worn tyres can effect brake regeneration. So would guess your experience is consistent with this.

I am still learning to navigate and need to be more specific and mention my car is a M3LR. But still interested if problem is not isolated to me. Helps me feel less paranoid 😃

I have the same vehicle/year. Regen still as good as ever. Maxes out at about 85kW, which is a lot (as viewed on Scan My Tesla via the Canbus).

I can go the whole way down the Blue Mountains (about 1,000metres elevation change) without using the brake pedal.

The only time I have limited/no regen is when I charge to 100% before a long trip. But I soon get noticeable regen within a few kilometres).

Do you get the green regen line on the screen (indicating electrons being pumped into the battery)? Have you settings such as Hold-creep changed with an update?

I am on

Certainly seems something is wrong with your car or setup.
Regds,
Dave

- Does your accelerator feel soft/dead when lifting your foot off.. way less aggressive braking than before
- Have you raised concerns/lodged service request with Tesla and been told that your vehicle is normal..that they have check it remotely
- Are you starting to question your sanity.. you know what you had, and now it is gone.. but you can’t quantify it

If anything above, is anything you can relate to… I would love to hear from you…
I am starting to think I am losing my mind.. because my brakes under regen are nearly useless, have to use the brake peddle all the time.. never did before.. always in hold mode.. I feel I have lost my best friend.. the love of my life.. the reason for living.. 😄
I also had this, Model 3 2021. I thought I was going crazy as our Model Y was normal. But lo and behold, with the new update, I got my regen back! Woohoo!

I have the same vehicle/year. Regen still as good as ever. Maxes out at about 85kW, which is a lot (as viewed on Scan My Tesla via the Canbus).

I can go the whole way down the Blue Mountains (about 1,000metres elevation change) without using the brake pedal.

The only time I have limited/no regen is when I charge to 100% before a long trip. But I soon get noticeable regen within a few kilometres).

Do you get the green regen line on the screen (indicating electrons being pumped into the battery)? Have you settings such as Hold-creep changed with an update?

I am on

Certainly seems something is wrong with your car or setup.
Regds,
Dave
Yeah. Certainly sounds like something is wrong.

My vehicle has little or no breaking effect as I lift of the accelerator.. if I lift of completely, and instantly, at any speed the vehicle just coasts. I always use “hold” setting.

Yup! We have the green line thingy. Sometimes works better than others but does not relate to break effect on accelerator. It seems like they are two disconnected things.

I am very interested in what you say about scan my Tesla on canbus. Can you tell me more. Is it web based, option in the vehicle, or third party app. This is the first time I have heard of it.

Yeah. Certainly sounds like something is wrong.

My vehicle has little or no breaking effect as I lift of the accelerator.. if I lift of completely, and instantly, at any speed the vehicle just coasts. I always use “hold” setting.

Yup! We have the green line thingy. Sometimes works better than others but does not relate to break effect on accelerator. It seems like they are two disconnected things.

I am very interested in what you say about scan my Tesla on canbus. Can you tell me more. Is it web based, option in the vehicle, or third party app. This is the first time I have heard of it.
Not to worry.

I it looks I found the info, it’s an android app I gather, I will look into this further.

Thank you very very much, this should be a great help.

Reactions: Hairyman and doggy1

Book in in for a service ASAP, hopefully I’m completely wrong but you may have a battery issue.

Reactions: paulp
I it looks I found the info, it’s an android app I gather, I will look into this further.
You need the App, a hadware OBD bluetooth module and an adaptor cable. Various OBD dongles work, but make sure you get a recommended one because they are high speed. Some of the slow ones work but cannot keep up with the data rate. With the dongle, cable and App you will be able to see precisely what is going into and out of the battery plus heaps of other useful info.

If you have this advice from the usa based call centre than treat it as wrong. They just make stuff up to get you off the call.
Best log a fault on the app, as a minimum an australian tech will message you, and you should ask for a side by side comparison with one of their loan cars if they tell you its fine.
I’ve been through this ‘there is no problem’ excuse albeit on a different matter, except when I reminded tesla I have two identical model S seperated on vin by 1 digit and that Model S isnt doing it they had no choice but to agree there was an issue and they then worked to fix it.

You need the App, a hadware OBD bluetooth module and an adaptor cable. Various OBD dongles work, but make sure you get a recommended one because they are high speed. Some of the slow ones work but cannot keep up with the data rate. With the dongle, cable and App you will be able to see precisely what is going into and out of the battery plus heaps of other useful info.
Yeah! I am think this is now a must have too, for most cars because of the digital interfaces. sort of like a tyre brace a long long time ago😉

If you have this advice from the usa based call centre than treat it as wrong. They just make stuff up to get you off the call.
Best log a fault on the app, as a minimum an australian tech will message you, and you should ask for a side by side comparison with one of their loan cars if they tell you its fine.
I’ve been through this ‘there is no problem’ excuse albeit on a different matter, except when I reminded tesla I have two identical model S seperated on vin by 1 digit and that Model S isnt doing it they had no choice but to agree there was an issue and they then worked to fix it.
Unfortunately I got the push back locally.. they checked it remotely, said that everything is OK and closed the service request. Thanks the dual vehicle matchup is a very good suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hairyman
Nah! Unfortunately I got the push back locally.. they checked it remotely, said that everything is OK and closed the service request. Thanks very good suggestion.
Sorry . Rereading what I wrote I may have sounded a bit abrupt. It was just my bad typing. I edited it so it makes more sense..😊

The suggestion about driving similar vehicles is very good. I am now thinking of looking at ways to quantify what I feel. An objective vs subjective approach to lodging a concern/service request. I am starting to think of the now and the future.. To avoid the merry-go-round. Driving two like vehicle is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benzz and Hairyman
Sorry . Rereading what I wrote I may have sounded a bit abrupt. It was just my bad typing.

The suggestion about driving similar vehicles is very good. I am now thinking of looking at ways to quantify what I feel. An objective vs subjective approach to lodging a concern. I am think of the now and for the future.. To avoid the merry-go-round. Driving two like vehicle is good.
Happy to help you out if you are in Sydney bud. Just let us know where you are. If not in Sydney I am sure others can help.

Reactions: Hairyman
I have heard that even worn tyres can effect brake regeneration. So would guess your experience is consistent with this.

I am still learning to navigate and need to be more specific and mention my car is a M3LR.

I just realised I had posted my vehicle as M3LR in error - it should be M3SR(+) . Just checked the config in the Tesla app to be sure.

I am totally, terribly and forever sorry and ‘embarrassed. I must have had the characters in my head somehow, and not their meaning. Totally dyslexic.

Please accept my apologies.