Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Rotors and Pads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI everyone,

It looks like I'm due to replace all rotors and pads on my 2015 Model S P85DL. I have a mechanic who can do the brake job, but would you buy the rotors and pads direct from Tesla? Or can you get the exact same Brembo parts for cheaper somewhere else? Or woudl you recommend a different rotor/pad combo altogether?

Thanks!

I just saw a post from an owner on the Facebook TESLA Owners Worldwide group a few hours ago about his experience doing a brake replacement.

He indicated the bought a full set of cross-drilled rotors and ceramic pads from R1 for $450.00. A few of his comments:

- You will need a 4-piston retractor tool to do the front Brembos calipars.
- His warning to NOT spray brake cleaner on the calipers. It will attack the clearcoat on the painted calipers and cause it to peel off.
- He also indicated there are some tricks to get the rear parking brake mechanism to release. He found to put the car in Tow Mode to prevent the parking caliper from wanting to reengage that can cause it to estemd the mechnism and come off the worm drive.

NOTE: I have no experience of replacing brakes on my mid-2016 MS90D. I'm just trying to relay some information from another owner that seemed quite detailed and credible.

Reactions: Hot Anime Dad