Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Shuddering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
‘17 MS 100D with front brake shuddering. The front pads were replaced last year before I bought it. I have put about 10k miles on it and they are shuddering again. I would think if the rotors were warped the charging of the pads would not have solved the initial issue. Anyone else have the same issue or solution? Just hit 50k miles. Thanks

I agree but the pads were replaced due to brake shuddering (by Tesla before I bought it) and the problem went away. Now they are shuddering again after 10k miles.

Teslas have an issue with getting road crud built up on them because the clips pull the pads off the rotors to reduce friction (increases range efficiency). After some gunk gets on the pads or rotors and you hit the brakes, it can glaze the rotors and cause the same type of feel you get from a warped rotor. If you look at the rotor, do you see rings going around them, or marks going up and down (from the brake pad juttering)?

I have the problem regularly in the desert (dust everywhere), it's worse with OEM rotors, but less so with slotted rotors that keep the pads somewhat cleaner. The way I address it is to get up going 80ish and lightly use the brakes down to 30-40, and do that 2 or 3 times. That usually heats it up enough to cook off the stuff and lightly scrub the rotors clean. I have to do that regularly, if not, I do a full pull on the plaid and hit the brakes, and the front end shakes pretty bad until getting back down below 80. If the rotors are cleaned, there's zero issue from stopping 160+ to 0.

If the rotors are under warranty, might as well replace it. Even if the rotors are new, that doesn't mean it was built perfect. Sometimes you get lucky and just happen to put a brand new rotor that was was slight warped from the factory.

I seen it with ICE cars as well. After replacing the rotors with new ones, still get shudders but it was at a different speed and sound. Had to replace them again within a year.

Regenerative braking can now use the brake even though you don't press on it to make the "braking" feel consistent in cold weather, when on a full charge, etc., when regen is less effective. If this is not the case, I don't know why regeneration by the electric motor could cause shuddering unless it is a half shaft issue.