TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Brake squealing?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by nsoriano85, Aug 16, 2017.

1. nsoriano85

nsoriano85 New Member

Just picked up new mx100 and the car drives like a champ however it rained for the first time since getting it and the next time I started driving it the brakes were squealing for the first 3 min of the drive but only when I applied them not when regen braking was active. Is this a problem I should get checked out asap or is this something that just happens due to the regen braking?

2. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

i believe it's something that happens with just about every Tesla because the main brakes are largely unused compared to an ICE car...

3. Shawn Snider

Shawn Snider Member

^ This, fresh pads squeal a bit as they contact the rotor's the first few times, once the pad wears a little bit it should go away.

4. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

All high performance breaks will squeal for the first few thousand miles. Mine did it for 4 months or so.

It definitely will go away. Until then, only drive in up-scale neighborhoods - people over there will know you're driving a new car, as opposed to thinking it's broken ;)

• Funny x 1
  5. Freedom101

Freedom101 Member

I've noticed it as well and picked mine up 3 weeks ago. As mentioned above it's normal... If it continues beyond the first few thousand miles/km then I'll bring it in.

6. outie

outie Active Member

Mine still squeaks next day after a car wash on my driveway. It goes away after applying the brake fee times. Car has more than 8k miles. As long as your brake works it's not a concern. Brake noise is pretty normal.

7. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

My squealing went away around 5,000 mi. Never had this on my Model s

8. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Both my MX exhibit(ed) the squeal, only while backing down outta the garage to street, and only after a rain.
    Quiet driving thereafter in the rain or dry. Both with <20k miles.

9. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete and lowering champion

I took mine in and they replaced rotors FOR FREE. Haven't squeaked since.

10. Peteybabes

wait you got the new beast!? (can't wait so see your updates soon :D)

11. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete and lowering champion

My old beast!!! Rip. Lol

12. ckwong

ckwong Member

Since this topic is regarding brake squealing, what about when you are parking and have to turn the wheel a few times and go from D to R a few times as well? Mine squeal a lot and I've asked a SC tech and he said that is normal. But it really sounds like something is wrong...I have 3500 miles. Anybody have this problem? Thanks

13. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

No, don't have that happening at all.

14. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Not sure about a few thousand....but Tesla mentioned some cars have a bad batch of rotors, and they need to be changed. Mine was one of them, it would "screech" when braking, and they replaced rotors and made it go away :)

15. Maximus-MX

Maximus-MX Member

Mine was squeaking for about a month (~1000 miles). Then it went away. They told me to give it some time when I called them.

16. Peteybabes

raining this morning, and quite pronounced squeaking at low speed...don't think it require brake replacement though...

17. travwill

travwill Active Member

I notice this after car sits, after a car wash, rain/snow at times, squealing or scratching. It seems like it is due to little use of brakes and regenerative instead. I even can hear some grinding at time at slow speeds in quiet areas (maybe some build-up on brakes?).

If i get on the freeway some finally, and do some hard braking for a while it all seems to go away for a bit. Just have to use the brakes actually a little and well.

18. digicool

digicool Member

Happens on mine routinely after some rain and sometimes even with no rain. I checked with service, they first burnished it, then replaced the rotors to the new version - still makes noise.
    Service said thats something I may have to live with - and that its not un-common in heavy cars.
    For now I let it settle but it does annoy me everytime I hear it.

19. nsoriano85

nsoriano85 New Member

I talked to a SC and they said it's totally normal and recommended I hammer the brakes a couple times to shave the thin layer of rust that forms on them overnight it'll make the squealing go away. I haven't had a problem since my original post here with squealing despite it raining but I don't think I'll be hammering the brakes anytime soon even if they do start squealing again.