Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake squealing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up new mx100 and the car drives like a champ however it rained for the first time since getting it and the next time I started driving it the brakes were squealing for the first 3 min of the drive but only when I applied them not when regen braking was active. Is this a problem I should get checked out asap or is this something that just happens due to the regen braking?

All high performance breaks will squeal for the first few thousand miles. Mine did it for 4 months or so.

It definitely will go away. Until then, only drive in up-scale neighborhoods - people over there will know you're driving a new car, as opposed to thinking it's broken ;)

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca
Mine still squeaks next day after a car wash on my driveway. It goes away after applying the brake fee times. Car has more than 8k miles. As long as your brake works it's not a concern. Brake noise is pretty normal.

Since this topic is regarding brake squealing, what about when you are parking and have to turn the wheel a few times and go from D to R a few times as well? Mine squeal a lot and I've asked a SC tech and he said that is normal. But it really sounds like something is wrong...I have 3500 miles. Anybody have this problem? Thanks

I notice this after car sits, after a car wash, rain/snow at times, squealing or scratching. It seems like it is due to little use of brakes and regenerative instead. I even can hear some grinding at time at slow speeds in quiet areas (maybe some build-up on brakes?).

If i get on the freeway some finally, and do some hard braking for a while it all seems to go away for a bit. Just have to use the brakes actually a little and well.

Happens on mine routinely after some rain and sometimes even with no rain. I checked with service, they first burnished it, then replaced the rotors to the new version - still makes noise.
Service said thats something I may have to live with - and that its not un-common in heavy cars.
For now I let it settle but it does annoy me everytime I hear it.

I talked to a SC and they said it's totally normal and recommended I hammer the brakes a couple times to shave the thin layer of rust that forms on them overnight it'll make the squealing go away. I haven't had a problem since my original post here with squealing despite it raining but I don't think I'll be hammering the brakes anytime soon even if they do start squealing again.