Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake / Turn Signal Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
So I was following a friend in his Model X last night, and noticed something really strange with the tail lights.

I came up behind him when he was making a left turn. The amber turn signal light was flashing, but the brake light was out on that side.

I was actually about to call him to let him know, when at the next intersection, he made a right turn and this time the right brake light was out while the signal was flashing.

Later, when he made a stop without turning, both brake lights were on.

I’ve never seen a car with separate red brake lights and amber turn signals do this. Is this normal on the X?

Mine does this too. I assume it's to make the turn signal easier to see by not having a bright red brake light next to it. Some vehicles also do this with the front signals and the running lights (the DRL on the side with the turn signal turns off while the signal is flashing), but I don't think the Model X does.

Yes, it is very common for cars to dim/turn off the DRL or headlight on the front of the car when a signal is flashing, but only in the daytime, not at night and usually only when the DRL and turn signal are in close proximity. My Model S dims the DRL to parking light level when the signal is in use during the daytime.

In my example above, it was night and the tail lights were also on.

I have never once seen this on the rear of a car with separate red brake lights and amber turn signals.