Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla copies brake set up from CamaroSS 5, the only difference is Tesla cheap out so the rear rotor doesn't come with drum brake like Camaro5 but add an auxiliary parking brake instead.

I wouldn't exactly call removing 110 year old braking technology in favor of an electromechanically actuated disc caliper that actually has a chance of stopping a 5000lbs car when used as an emergency brake "cheap".

Reactions: Kristoffer Helle
Rotors are probably the single biggest payoff weight reduction in the entire car, other than wheels. Rotating and translating weight is worth much more than fixed weight. Those rotors carry a HUGE amount of rotational kinetic energy while spinning.

I'm not an automotive engineer, but that sounds like an exaggerated claim. As an example, wouldn't foregoing the pano roof save more?

And this link seems to contradict your claim:

Sprung Vs. Unsprung Chassis Weight: Definition and Examples

I would appreciate a little more clarification.

If you want to save weight, start with the low-hanging fruit. Brakes and rotors aren't it. You move on to those once you've reduced all the weight elsewhere. Start pulling out seats, crap in your glove box/trunk/frunk, chargers, cables, etc...

If you're focusing on unsprung weight, move to CF 19" rims. The bang for the buck there is excellent ... not so much with new rotors and calipers.
I would try a treadmill. Then you won't have to do anything to your car.

I'm not an automotive engineer, but that sounds like an exaggerated claim. As an example, wouldn't foregoing the pano roof save more?

And this link seems to contradict your claim:

Sprung Vs. Unsprung Chassis Weight: Definition and Examples

I would appreciate a little more clarification.

Pano save more than 4 corners of lightweight wheels/tires/brakes? I doubt it. Regardless pano is a personal choice, some people will insist on it just for resale value, nevermind personal preference. This thread started with "owner" which means you're not about to reconfigure your car without pano anyway.

I wouldn't exactly call removing 110 year old braking technology in favor of an electromechanically actuated disc caliper that actually has a chance of stopping a 5000lbs car when used as an emergency brake "cheap".

It all about the cost. Rear emergency drum brake is manually operated (by hand or foot) which is "independent" from hydraulic brake system which allows you to stop the car under emergency* when if your brake system ever failed. However electro-mechianically rear brake still rely on the "hydraulic" system to stop the car.

I have witnessed lately all European car mfgrs started eliminating the rear drum brakes and replaced it with E-M brake on rear including high end Mercedes S and sports model GT-S, however BMW still retains the rear drum e-brake on their latest M3/M4 because BMW realized a lot of M3/M4 owners track their cars.

Check those latest American muscle cars like Corvette, Camaro, Challenger/Charger - All rear drum e-brakes are retained.

*People tend to mix up or get confused between parking brake and emergency brake on their purpose, although they function exactly the same.

It all about the cost. Rear emergency drum brake is manually operated (by hand or foot) which is "independent" from hydraulic brake system which allows you to stop the car under emergency* when if your brake system ever failed. However electro-mechianically rear brake still rely on the "hydraulic" system to stop the car.
No, they don't. Completely independent system.

I can't believe you're arguing FOR drum brakes. Next, let's talk about how awesome fixed rear axles and leaf springs are. Tesla is cheaping out with that independent rear suspension o_O

For weight saving, such as two piece rotors or carbon ceramic rotors, and for performance improvement with better modulation and stopping power, or low dust.

The best way to save unsprung weight and improve performance is via the wheels, not the brakes or rotors. Eg, the ESE carbon rims weigh about 11 pounds each. That should save about 60 pounds in unsprung weight. Plus they bring other benefits such as reduced tire noise, better handling, improved stopping power and acceleration, no bent riims, etc. The wheels are a far larger and heavier rotating mass than the rotors.

Several us have them on order and should have them on our cars in a few weeks.

Tesla with CCM rotors BBK.

80-front_1_124fa69461c2285bf330f594cdf7c2a3f61bab74.jpg

80-rear_22a540f1d62f0d910a5b708e54d329db32ca5baf.jpg

80-front_bfaeb44e156f9b467bdcf59af004db2bc433d575.jpg

80-front_2_c2abb307fb4c3347258ceab06a32fb299ba33f33.jpg

Huge un-sprung weight reduction:

80-ccm_wt_reduction_eefd9b608aa9b2bfa7e27fa2049233b142cb3220.png

Total 4 rotors weight saving: 71 lbs even with bigger rotors in the front.

And all that can be yours for $15,255 USD not including installation. That's huge weight reduction in my wallet.

I mean if the Tesla Model S was a decent track car, then go for it. The suspension is too floaty and wishy and washy to spend that kind of dough on brakes, which are hardly ever used on a Model S.

One of the most distinct features, other than the incredible (until you hold them in your hand) weight saving, is the literally "dust free" braking.

The kit requires a minimum of 19" wheels to install, so the factory wheels you mentioned above should fit w/o any problem.

Hmmm...

I actually produce a line of lightweight rotors for the 355mm brembo brakes used on the modern mustang and camaro pony cars (www.morrisengineering.com). Each rotor reduces unsprung, rotating mass by about 8lb. Our Model S essentially uses the same design for both front and rear. If there was sufficient interest, I could consider running a small batch.

Are you planning to introduce a set of rotors for the Model S? Any idea on the price point compared to Mustang/Camaro?

I may be interested as long as they don't have a Tesla markup.